Steering rack knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack knock

Slight knock on full lock. Service say down to deterioating SC dampers. Say you cannot get service kit for SC anymore only complete rack.
    Is this the case ????
    Alastair
    RS2

should be able to get the rack damper on its own, infact i think europarts or gsf do it.
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Another thing to check is the pre load on the rack mechanism itself. There is a 12mm bolt facing you (between 2 others) on a plate on top of the rack. Clockwise to tighten - you will need an extension on your socket set to get at it. Go slowly 1/4 turns until it is "free" but without being audible from inside the car. Ive run without the damper connected. It would not make knocks unter full lock. Are you sure its not drive line related ?

Comment

could just be a knackered top mount to be honest, they can make a bit of a racket when they are shot. Left normally goes first in my experience.
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Recent sorting has resolved all other possibilities, new topmounts etc. I had hoped downsizing tyres would have helped.
          Off to AMD next week for RR and new konis all round ( Front ones leaking oil and some of knock may be related shock mounts)
          I will see whats its like after all that prior to doing steering dampers
          Thanks again
          Alastair
          RS2

Comment

I had nasty knock on my steering recently. It was a totally knackered track rod end that was fitted just over 1 year ago. If you're getting the knock only on full lock, it could be the one of the front springs moving on the strut. Best to get it on the ramps and have someone listen and feel around from under the car. Should be pretty easy to locate with two people
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Working...
            X