Clear All

• Koni owners shock adjustments interesting read

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Very interesting stuff regarding the adjustments

Cheers Jamo.
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

As mentioned before on this forum I totally agree with the following statements quoted from the latest link:

The off-the-shelf valving is usually pretty good, the knob is rebound-only with very little crosstalk onto compression, and while the knob is SERIOUSLY nonlinear, it can be worked with: a typical Yellow had 2 1/2 turns of adjustment. The last 1/2 turn to full hard is useless (tiny changes make huge force changes) and the last half to full turn to full soft does nothing, but that turn to turn and a half in the middle of the range usually isn't bad.

Koni's quality control on the Yellows is such that the odds on any two shocks with the same part number matching forces are very small - there's quite a bit of shock-to-shock variation. But bought as a group buy and then dyno matched, it is possible to put together matched sets. Be aware that I've seen Koni Yellows with the same part number that matched perfectly when one was 1/2 turn off full hard, and the other was at full soft - I consider the adjuster knob a way to match shocks on the dyno, NOT a tuning tool.

I have similar experience with a batch of 24 koni Red/Yellow/FSD dampers on one damper test bench. They weren´t alike at all. Turning the adjuster is good to match up a pair, but are not a bit alike at all.

Still it´s a good quality product. I don't want to scare anybody from buying/using them, i have them myself, but don´t over exaggerate when it comes to adjusting them alike, and stay away from fully closed position. This is also the reasing they go bad over time.

Comment

Is there any way for the 'home tuner' to match a pair of Konis with a simple test?
        Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Hold the damper, put / hang a known load on it and time the compression or extension over a known distance.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post
            Is there any way for the 'home tuner' to match a pair of Konis with a simple test?
            I would say there isn't. The difference isn't noticable for our purpose: daily driver. Or did you match your springs/tires/powerflex bushings? And corrected it for the different tires loads?

Rusty's way is what i used for RC car purposes. Simply a kind of balance bar with two shocks mounted at each end. Compress it at different speeds to see if the balance bar stays horizontal, if not, replace the oil(level) or shimstack.

Another way is to fix them to each other and compress them against each other. Look if the stroke differs between each other during compression.

Comment

This is what i ment:

Budget way:

Comment

Had my rear shocks refurbed as it was cheaper and quicker than sourcing new ones.

Shocks were revalved and new oil was put in shocks were also put on a dyno and adjusted until they matched, dyno printout below

Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting. How much was this service?

Comment

Depends on the condition of shocks as price is plus parts but starts from around £45 a shock for a service i.e revalve and re-oil

I didn't ask if they did the configuration by itself but I believe Shaun Pickering probably does

Comment

Quick question about Koni yellow adjustable. I have set it up on hard but once i fully pressed down the socks they don't come up. At all. Is this a normal behaviour? When i try to pull them up manually is it very hard. I saw a couple of videos on youtube and the shocks are comming up by themselfs without any help. The difference of how fast they go up is given by the stiffness setup. Thanks for support!

Sent via Crapatalk
                      UrS4 "PK Motorsport"

Comment

Soundsa bout right. Full hard is VERY stiff rebound; try 0.25-0.5 turn back from there.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Thanks Rusty, my concern is about not getting out by themselfs once fully pressed down. As far as i know any shock when still has enough good pressure should extend by himslef without any help.

Sent via Crapatalk
                          UrS4 "PK Motorsport"

Comment

Another question , is this really necesaary to be there with my setup? I am talking about this rubber thing. At this moment the rear side with this rubber on is visibly higher than front which is pretty anoying. I am thinking of not putting this one back on the rear. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438764216.090351.jpg

Sent via Crapatalk
                            UrS4 "PK Motorsport"

Comment

Guys, i have yellow adjustable Konis on my cq20v front and rear....Which adjustable between is best? The rear one is problem with adjusting, because off need to pull the dampers out..And what is best option between comfortable/sport on 225/45/R17 cq20v on front?
                              Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

Working...
                              X