Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to retro fit an RS2 airbag steering wheel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to retro fit an RS2 airbag steering wheel...

onto my non airbag ABY avant?
    Tim

1995 S2 Avant, ruby red - ** SOLD TO ROSS **
    Golf Rallye G60 ** SOLD **
    Golf MK2 Oaky with R32 engine
    Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDi 130
    Golf MK2 8v Race car

Originally posted by s2avant95M
    I don't know the answer to that...but i doubt it as there are sensors and things that your car probably doesn't have that it would need.

..BUT, if you can, I want your S2 wheel if it's a black 3-spoke!!!

Joe "NoNonsense"
    axis motorsport
    joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsense
      I don't know the answer to that...but i doubt it as there are sensors and things that your car probably doesn't have that it would need.

..BUT, if you can, I want your S2 wheel if it's a black 3-spoke!!!

It sure is a 3-spoke black one....
      Tim

1995 S2 Avant, ruby red - ** SOLD TO ROSS **
      Golf Rallye G60 ** SOLD **
      Golf MK2 Oaky with R32 engine
      Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDi 130
      Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

It sure is a 3-spoke black one....
        excellent!!

i may be wrong, but I believe the RS2 airbag wheels are the same as the airbags in the early B5 A4...maybe an adapter is needed.

I'm sure someone will clarify.
        Joe "NoNonsense"
        axis motorsport
        joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

A genuine RS2 wheel should bolt on - though expect to maybe change the cowelling and possibly the stalks to get the indicators to switch off properly as these are differnet on the RS2.

You can get an adapter to get the spline of an A4 style airbagged wheel to fit our Audis. I have a spare A4 Sport airbagged wheel I was going to fit it but ended up sourcing a proper RS2 wheel. You won't have to worry about wiring up the airbag though - The A4 sport airbag wheel is for sale - Interested? The spline adapter is available from audi and costs about £7 IIRC.
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Sure will fit, but.........
            If you wish to install the airbag functionality, then more power to you, but if you just want to mount it, then do yourself a favour and buy the plastic clamshell over your indicators that came on an airbag 90. Your current wheel
            has a horn contact button sticking out of it, the airbag wheel (indeed the same as b5 a4s) has a contact ring the expects the horn contact button to protrude from the clamshell. You can rig it, like I did, but if you put the airbag wheel on and do nothing about the clamshell, I think the two buttons may meet up and interfere as you are trying to avoid a pram with triplets.

Comment

I have never done it however i know that peoplle who have tried to convert the opposite way (i.e. place a 3 spoke non-airbag unit on to coupes with Airbags) have had to change the steering column and stalk switches/ coweling

Comment

I do know that the RS2 non-airbag wheel fits straight onto the S2 column without adapters. (I've done it) An A4 sports wheel apparently does not
                My car (Oct 93 build ABY RHD) came originally an airbagged S2 wheel so was without the pro-con ten collapsable steering column I don't know if the column was different between airbag / non airbag cars
                Hope this helps
                Oct 93 build MY 94 ABY Kingfisher Blue Audi S2 with MD147 turbo :mischeif:u SOLD
                Audi 90 Quattro 20V 1989 7A
                Audi TTRS 2010 APR stage 2 +
                Triumph 675 Street Triple R

Comment

Working...
                X