Rear Camber Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Camber Settings

I have just had my '91 S2 Coupe tracking and alignment done. I was given a computer readout indicating the "before and after" settings. I gave them the information from Paul's S2net site, all seems OK, except the rear axle camber.
    I note that the maximum permissable difference between the 2 sides is 30'. Mine has been set at 37'.( left rear -24', right rear -1°01') Question is: Is this a serious problem. Car is standard, no mods.
    Thanks

Ian
    '91 3B Coupe

Originally posted by ianmt
    I have just had my '91 S2 Coupe tracking and alignment done. I was given a computer readout indicating the "before and after" settings. I gave them the information from Paul's S2net site, all seems OK, except the rear axle camber.
    I note that the maximum permissable difference between the 2 sides is 30'. Mine has been set at 37'.( left rear -24', right rear -1°01') Question is: Is this a serious problem. Car is standard, no mods.
    Thanks

Ian
    That sounds strange Ian, there is a big difference between them! are your rear bushes worn?

David

Comment

Hi David
      All wheel bearings,shocks and front suspension mounts, not rear, are brand new stock items.
      Should I have replaced rear suspension mounts too?
      Rgds
      Ian
      '91 3B Coupe

Comment

Hi David
        All wheel bearings,shocks and front suspension mounts, not rear, are brand new stock items.
        Should I have replaced rear suspension mounts too?
        Rgds
        Ian
        If your rubber bushes are worn they will have play in them, which would mean that you can't set up the suspension properly. I would Imagine that your car has 100K on it. After that time I feel that it could do with a bit of TLC in the rubber bush department!

David

Comment

Yeah, thats too far out. Check for play in the bushes. If there is nothing major then ask them to put it right as you gave them the info and its not correct. Where did you take it? Kwik fit? or similar
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Thanks, I will check bushes. Garage that does my servicng took it to "expert" body shop in Redruth, Cornwall. I am told they have all the latest equipment. The read outs certainly seem impressive, but obviously no good if the settings are incorrect!

Ian
            '91 3B Coupe

Comment

Worn rear under tray to body bushes?
              Is the body absolutely certainly straight?

Struts to hub carriers can allow a small movement when the bolts are opened. You might want go for a second round telling them this so they can adjust from that point.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
                Worn rear under tray to body bushes?
                Is the body absolutely certainly straight?

Struts to hub carriers can allow a small movement when the bolts are opened. You might want go for a second round telling them this so they can adjust from that point.
                CBody should be straight, it has never been involved in accident. How can I check for straightness? I will certainly get them to check rear undertray to body bushes, do you mean the rear connections on the tray under the motor?
                I will also check strut to hub carriers as you kindly suggested. Thanks

Ian
                '91 3B Coupe

Comment

CBody should be straight, it has never been involved in accident. How can I check for straightness? I will certainly get them to check rear undertray to body bushes, do you mean the rear connections on the tray under the motor?
                  I will also check strut to hub carriers as you kindly suggested. Thanks

Ian
                  I think maybe Porkkis meant the sub frame. I obviously did not see your signature on the mileage front! They may well need checking.

Kwik fit only do the parallel check, I know they don't do camber checks.

David

Comment

Yes I ment the sub frame. Sometimes just wrong words pop into my mind. Sorry.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
                      Yes I ment the sub frame. Sometimes just wrong words pop into my mind. Sorry.
                      Don't worry Porkkis, the wrong word keeps coming up in my mind when I speak to young Scandinavian ladies as well

David

Comment

LOL @ Stick Insect. I know what you mean.

With that sort of mileage it wouldnt surprise me if the bushes are a bit worn. Maybe a good time to replace/upgrade them. As Pirelli said, Power is nothing without control
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Thanks Guys

I have just ordered 2 new top mounts for rear suspension from VAGParts, don't know why I didn't before . As car is awaiting new radiator, once this is done and mounts fitted, garage will recheck rear camber.
                          Thanks again

Ian
                          '91 3B Coupe

Comment

Working...
                          X