Power steering noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering noise

On saterday I changed the radiator and the waterhose on the top. This morning I started the car and during the steering out of my parking place, I heared antoher strange sound . It is only when I steer, so when I corner you hear the sound. You can also feel it a bit in the steering wheel. I have a 3b from 1991
    Getting everything sorted out for my 5++ hp project

Your pump is probably leaking or your car is low on hydraulic fluid (for a reason!). For some reason the hydraulic fluid warning comes on a lot after the pump screams because of low fluid level. Strange engineering again...

Have your friend to turn the wheel while you look at the pump. The pump block parts probably give up a bit and fluid comes out between the blocks and it sucks air the same time and gives the noise.
    Mine was overhauled and seals replaced when that happened and it has been silent for about 25000kms for now. Seal set is cheap and replacing is quite easy but takes its time.
    -

Comment

Thanks Porkkis,

Is the power steering pump placed on the top, the V-belt that runs to the top of the engine.

kind regards,

Erik de bruijn

Comment

Yes
        -

Comment

Ok, thanks for the help porkkis. I hope I can fix it my self.

Comment

Could it be possible that I hit a hose during the changing of the radiator?

Comment

I took a look, and it leaks on the top of it, where the connection is. It just sprays out when I turn the wheel. Can this be fixed with a seal kit?

Comment

Steering noise

Hi Erik

Keep us informed about how things go. I have the same problem with my 1991 3b.

Craig

Comment

The pump isnt broken, but it leaks on the connection for the hydraulic fluid. It now gives a warning light, a bit late. I have some oil standing here, but I dont think is the right stuff. We used it for a Ford Scorpio. the brand is Goldstar, automatic transmission fluid(?) Type D. Specifications: GM6317M, M.B. 236.5 and 236.6, Allison C3\C4, ZF TE-ML-09/11/14, Caterpillar TO-2.

I have to drive home, anybody any idea if I can use this.

Comment

The red arrow points out the place where it leaks

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Erikb
                      The red arrow points out the place where it is
                      Martyn or Alan at Vagparts can get the crush washers for the banjo union in your picture,,,,,I got a couple from them the other month when I had to remove one for access to the crossheaded plug that was leaking,,,,,pence each...

Oh,,,,and DON'T use ATF in your PAS system,,,big no no,,,,will eat into seals in the pump etc,,,,use mineral fluid from Audi/VW,,,,GOO2000.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                      2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                      1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Thanks Fourrings, I live in the Netherlands. Maybe I can get the part at an big audishop here in the Netherlands. I dont know if Martyn or Alan ship it to the Netherlands.

Banjo union?, is that the part under the nut?. I hope that is the problem. I do not see a crack in the pump. Do you need a seal if you replace it?
                        Last edited by Erikb; 6 September 2004, 19:40.

Comment

Use right fluid , dont top it up with anything cos all seals will go.
                          sigpic_________
                          Rob

Comment

I know Robo, I will see the audi stealer tomorrow. I hope he has the fluid on stock.
                            Do you know if there is a seal on that place, maybe it is just the seal that is leaking.

Comment

You can buy complet repair kit for a pump , dont try to use a nomal plumbing oring as i did on the way from poland to england hehe it hapend in holand where i had to top up the fluid and i used what they had at petrol station , it went pop after that i must used 4 of those orings but it got me back home.
                              sigpic_________
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X