X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Joint Rebuild

Hi,

When doing my suspension refurb last year, i thought it was a good idea to refurb the outer front CV joint as it gets the most hammer out of all the half axle joints due to steering!

Here is the before and after joints without boots together with the 6 ball bearings and my favourite degreaser.
    tn_DSC01599.jpg

I won't go into how to get the the joints off as that is described elsewhere. This thread shows the intricate process of assembling the joint from its component parts. Dis-assembly, as they say, is the reverse of assembly!

Cheers,

John
    2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
    1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Here goes....

After a rough clean, this is how the joint looks once the ball bearings have been taken out....you'll see how the ball bearings come out (and go in) in due course.

tn_DSC01600.JPG

Comment

....and this is the kit that you will need. Basically it is the old joint and kit number Front Outer - 441 498 203 A (for the Coupe at least). The kit includes tubes of grease, CV boot (gaiter), inner and outer boot clips and bearing rings as well as a hub bolt.
      tn_DSC01601.JPG

Comment

The first thing is to get the inner (splined) star into the bearing cage. This is done by laying the bearing race (ring with holes in it) on a flat surface and then inserting the star at right angles to the race, such that the points of the star align with the holes of the race

tn_DSC01602.JPG

and then twisting the star such that the race and star are in the same plane.

tn_DSC01603.JPG

Comment

At this stage ensure that the bearing race is slightly wider facing up than at the bottom and that the star has the side with the step facing up.

Take the two components as one and perform the same operation to put them into the main CV joint housing, by putting them at right angles such that the holes int he bearing race align with the indents in the housing.

tn_DSC01604.JPG

and twisting to the same plane

tn_DSC01605.JPG

Comment

Now for the tricky bit...if you can do origami then you probably have an advantage!

Tip the bearing race and splined star downwards

tn_DSC01606.JPG

to put one ball bearing in

then the second

tn_DSC01607.JPG

the third

tn_DSC01608.JPG

the fourth

tn_DSC01609.JPG

the fifth

tn_DSC01610.JPG

Comment

....and finally the sixth and last one

tn_DSC01612.JPG

tn_DSC01613.JPG

and admire your handiwork!

Now in practice this is not that easy since after the 3rd bearing has gone in, the whole mechanism starts to tighten up but persist with your dexterity and it will happen.
              Last edited by John B; 12 April 2011, 20:26.

Comment

Now to the fitment to the axle (it's explained on Mike's s2-audi.co.uk site but hey let's see this through)

Here is your lovely painted axle fitted with shiny new CV boot and inner metal clip fitted loosely on for now.

tn_DSC01614.JPG

Also note the spring clip at the end of the axle has been replaced (this should come with the CV boot kit). A small screwdriver is used to lever the old one off and the new one on.

Comment

Remember to put the two rings on (and the right way round). The first to go on is the thinner one and it goes on with the narrower end first. The second (thicker) ring then goes on and it actually forms the bearing surface for the ball bearings in the housing to run on. It butts up to the first ring and you will need to ease it past the spring clip or if you are smart, put it on before you put the new clip on! It is worth using some of the grease at this point around the ring.
                  tn_DSC01615.JPG
                  Last edited by John B; 12 April 2011, 01:29.

Comment

Before you place the housing on to the shaft put just over half of the first tube of grease in the housing and work this in around all the bearings by moving the splined star around. place the rest of the first tube and about 10g of the second tube all around the inside of the CV boot.

Place the assembly on the shaft and hit the outer end of the shaft with a wooden hammer or similar until the joint assembly gets past the spring clip. Ease the CV boot around the assembly attach the outer clip and tighten up both inner and clips using a special pair of pliers or a small screwdriver as a lever.

Stand back and admire your efforts!

tn_DSC01617.JPG
                    Last edited by John B; 12 April 2011, 20:28.

Comment

Brilliant! Now Stuck.

Cheers,

Steve
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

nice work John
                        I did all 10 of my joints when i did my chassis refresh - I hate CV grease its filthy ****! I found it a lot easier to grease the cage and balls whilst assembling them, since if they are new or in excellent condition they are massively tight when reassembling them and can lock up which can be a PITA to free up.
                        Also remember that the cage and centre spline can only go in one way, if you put it the rong way it will fit but the joint won't articulate properly
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

*bookmarked for reference*

Nice one
                          1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
                          A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

Thanks guys....yeah i agree, the old grease is a PITA to get off. The next joint i just took apart first then wiped the excess off with kitchen roll (had to get that past the kitchen police) before using the degreaser, otherwise you end up using loads of degreaser but still not getting all the noooks and crannies clean.

Cheers

JB

Comment

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X