Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is so hard to get an S2 aligned???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is so hard to get an S2 aligned???????

Properly ****** off with getting an alignment sorted!
    I've spent every evening this week fitting my rear sub frame back together with all my rear suspension with an alignment booked at pitstop Warwick (recommendation on here). Dropped it off this afternoon but got a call saying that they need a tool to lock the rack????
    Every time I've had an alignment done (including the S2) they have braced the steering wheel against the driver's seat or the footwell. They basically refused to do it because they didn't have this tool. Called another place that they recommended and again they didn't have the tool.

So again, for another week I have no car!!!!

I really want to get this car properly aligned with someone who knows what they're doing. I'm prepared to travel but it's so badly aligned at the moment I don't want to trash a set of new tyres driving hundreds of miles. I see centre gravity in Atherstone are very well recommended but can anyone else offer some advice?

Has anyone bought some equipment to do it themselves? Is it worth it?

Ha Ha! It get's better. Centre Gravity's earliest slot is JULY!!!!!

Comment

Locking the rack might well be the belt n' braces approach, but just get someone to sit in the car and hold the wheel dead ahead or use a clamp as you say.

Got my GEO done yesturday and it drives fantastic
      RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Imperial Tyres in Swindon if you can travel, ask for Steve, brilliant guy!
        Aelred

Comment

If there looking for that there doing it by the book. I only posted about that tool yesterday here http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51638 if you find anybody who has one please copy it.

In my experience from various tracking places most systems are able to calculate the centre by making the operator steer left/right, then it tells them where to lock the steering before adjusting the toe on each side.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

the right kit makes all the difference.

Its not any different to any other 4wd car, you just need to find someone who isn't a complete numpty!

go to A-Line in Dudley, Kev is your man, I'm there all the time with my coupe, he'll sort you out while you wait
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Lodge tyre in Birmingham offer s2forum discounts and I could probably get you in there as early as tomorrow.
              sigpic
              "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
              BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
              1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
              2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

I heard that! I went to BMTR in perry barr and they left my ball joint loose and tried to charge me 90 quid

Comment

:corey: they suck, steer well clear!
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Has anyone tried to sell you cam bolts yet? Protyre told me they can't adjust mine properly without theseSome places are so full of sh** makes me want to pop back later and re-arrange there shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      :corey: they suck, steer well clear!
                      Love it!
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Locking tool is only to find the centre of the rack, which as said can be found several other ways. Your steering lock should be in the straight ahead postion, so you could use that. I set both track rods at the same adjustment and if your steering wheel is out it probably needs moving on the splines. Mine does.

I have just finished fitting new track rods, bottom ball joint flange nuts, rear toe arms and cam bolts. All of the above were seized / corroded. If you take it for alignment with anything seized, they either refuse to do it or charge you a fortune to free it off.

I am now ready to have the full alignment set up. At the moment it's twitchy at the back under braking, a bit like an old hot hatch. Is this normal / correct?

It would mean travelling, however I can recommend Loe Bank Motors in Edenfield, Lancs.

Pete
                        Audi RS2 Volcano Black, MRC chip, Milltek exhaust

Comment

As another option to those already mentioned, I've used Stuart at Miles Tyres in Oldbury near Bristol, make sure you tell them what you're after and get them to do the front camber, castor and anything else. They're the only people I've had alignment done by, who have got it to driver straight! Shame that I then slid into a kerb during the snow that winter
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                            As another option to those already mentioned, I've used Stuart at Miles Tyres in Oldbury near Bristol, make sure you tell them what you're after and get them to do the front camber, castor and anything else. They're the only people I've had alignment done by, who have got it to driver straight! Shame that I then slid into a kerb during the snow that winter
                            You can't adjust caster on an S2, well not without after market adjustable top mounts or offset subframe bushes to move the subframe.

Comment

Thanks for the help people, I have calmed down a bit now!

Alex I'll give A-line a call and rj scotty I will call lodge tyre. My dad uses them for anything he can. I have used BMTR as well and after £100 I wasn't convinced they'd done much at all.

I don't mind paying top dollar for a Rolls Royce service as I know how fine an adjustment can be between a car that is horrible to drive and a car that is a pleasure to drive.

I'm just annoyed that there was know willingness to have a go at aligning the car without the tool, surely there's a few tricks of the trade that can be employed to lock the rack centrally??

Anyway, I'll try and get something sorted for next week.

Thanks again

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X