Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not a happy bunny.. knocking noise.

Hi guys...

My suspension was making a knocking nosie and my regular mechanic changed the suspension strut bush rubber thingie that sits on top of each suspension. That fixed my problem and was a smooth ride from there on. However, after a week or two the noise started to come back when i went over bumps and has gotten from bad to worse.

I gave him the car today so he can investigate what the problem was.

He took it for a ride, moved the car up n down and said "its because its done 180k, theres no play on the bushes and its because u have sport suspension it makes that noise, wishbones are fine, suspension is fine, its all fine."

GRRRR

can it be that he did not fit the suspension bushes properly and now its come loose or something similar? There is no way this is how my car should be making such a huge knocking noise everytime i go over a pot hole!

dammit wrong day to quit smokin!
    ABY Coupe
    sigpic

try tightening the top mount nut, when the car is under load, something i know some places dont do, that should quite down the noise. If not sounds like the new mount might be shagged. The car shouldnt make that noise

Comment

mine does it to,and i have new coilover and topmounts (2month),the bushes are from dec. last year ,i have orderet new bolts and nut for the bushes and a set of poly bushes,new arms for the ARB and some new (bearing)the one that´s i the other end of where the bushes sit.will change that first and hobe it disaperes.will follow this thread.
      RIX

Comment

damn rix.. going for the works huh?

unfortunatly i cant afford to change half my car when something rattles/bangs

will try tightening top mount nut.

ABY Coupe
        sigpic

Comment

I found after driving it a little you have to take the top nut & plate off the strut and re-torque the grooved nut on the top of the shock. Usually you have to do this a couple of times before it stays tight.

Also check the shock hasn’t worked loose in the strut, the strut cap needs to be really tight.

Originally posted by Ski
          Hi guys...

My suspension was making a knocking nosie and my regular mechanic changed the suspension strut bush rubber thingie that sits on top of each suspension. That fixed my problem and was a smooth ride from there on. However, after a week or two the noise started to come back when i went over bumps and has gotten from bad to worse.

I gave him the car today so he can investigate what the problem was.

He took it for a ride, moved the car up n down and said "its because its done 180k, theres no play on the bushes and its because u have sport suspension it makes that noise, wishbones are fine, suspension is fine, its all fine."

GRRRR

can it be that he did not fit the suspension bushes properly and now its come loose or something similar? There is no way this is how my car should be making such a huge knocking noise everytime i go over a pot hole!

dammit wrong day to quit smokin!
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

well their woren so,ill change all in one go so i don´t have to do i twice,there are only parts for about 350 euro that includs some gaskets and bolts for the turbo,oil and water pipes,the gaskets one my old turbo have failed(inside the turbo fitting a new one) :mischeif: ,so i like it where i am sure i have all possible spares for the wurst situation,cus i allways have to do more,i don´t have any easy problems when it comes to my cars.

RIX

Comment

Working...
            X