Replacing suspension... How simple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing suspension... How simple?

Looking at replacing my old knackered shocks with Koni top adjustables all round along with new top mounts and possibly bump stops, depending on current condition. How difficult is the job and has anyone produced a definitive guide?

Cheers

Andy
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

It’s fairly straight forward to remove the strut from the car. Rears take a little longer as access to the top mount is a little tricky.

You will need a spring compressor to remove the top spring perch and upper mount. The nut is a grooved item but you will get a tool for it with the new Konis.

The most difficult part is getting the cap off the top of the strut to remove the shock. I used a large plumber’s wrench with a 4 foot tube over the end of it. Even still I was using all my body weight on it.

On mine one of the four shocks was rusted into the strut, only way I could get it free was to use a blow torch to heat the strut. Without it I would have been stuck.

You will really need access to a bench vice and some way to remove the strut cap before you start. I would advise new top mounts and bump stops for the front, rears should be ok.

Good Luck,

Mark.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey
      Looking at replacing my old knackered shocks with Koni top adjustables all round along with new top mounts and possibly bump stops, depending on current condition. How difficult is the job and has anyone produced a definitive guide?

Cheers

Andy
      Since you seem to have done the homework, do you have the product codes for the fr. and rear Koni shocks?

The old ones were:

Fr - 86-2086SPD2
      Rr - 86-2433 Sport

What are the numbers for the top adjustables?

Rich

Comment

Working...
      X