No announcement yet.

Which is more comfortable H&R or KW V1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is more comfortable H&R or KW V1?

Being dissatisfied with the H&R monotube coilovers in my S2 coupe I'm undecided what to do...

my H&R coilovers are very very hard and stiff - no fun to drive on the roads...

so I'm considering to buy a set of KW V1 coilcovers to get a more driveable, streetable car...

any experiences comparing the to coilovers solutions

H&R said I should demount the coilovers and send it to them to check and modify it... but in this way I do not know the result until I test it again with the risk of being dissatisfied again... (and again and again ) and paying money for nothing...
    [__]=oooo=[__]

First thing to do is to find out what spring rate the HnR springs are, as that will give an indication of how the KW V1s will compare (they're 60N/mm / 360 lb/in). There will be differences in the dampers but if your current ones are knackered then they're the first thing to address. I don't remember seeing many on here with HnR coilovers but it will be interesting to hear from someone if they do have them.

Another option, is to get the dampers checked and refreshed and then fit different strength springs to soften the ride a little and have the dampers matched to the softer springs.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I have ran both H&R with brand new Bilsteins, and KW V1s and without any doubt in my mind the v1s are better all across the board! It was very noticeable on speedbumps, the speedbumps are dampened so much better with the v1s, i thought they would be more harsh but it was the opposite.

vs

Comment

OP has HnR coilovers

Good to know that the KWs are more comfortable than springs. What are the differences in the corners? A se of V3s would be rather nice

What are the red HnR springs for? (S2 ones are blue).
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Red are for the heavy american coupe quattro... it is all we got this side of the pond.

Comment

Got a part number? Could check coils and diameter against the S2 items as HnR publish the information on the TUV papers
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Don't know the spring rates

[__]=oooo=[__]

Comment

50311 is the H&R part number.

810 22 100 VA is on the springs. The funny thing is they sold them in sets of 4. So all 4 corners are the same VA part number which is odd... but that is what they did.

Comment

just my opinion, but my avant came to me on kw's and the handling was amazing,it would never come unglued,but the ride suffered big time!It was horrible on roads that were bumpy.

When I went to replace the dampers at the time there were no new ones available so I would of had to send them back to holland for a refurb(4 years ago now) so i managed in the end to match up the shocks to the same size and diametre of shocks used on MK4 golfs!

Got fed up in the end and went down the stock shocks with HR springs and have never looked back.

Lots of people go on about billsteins,but I have to say there are a few of us on here with the same set up and its a great compromise of ride/handling

Comment

op, good question, one more hopefully not considered a hijack.

If money was not the overriding issue, and one has an Avant for regular daily driver street only use, would one buy KW1 or KW3 ?

Would pay the extra for the KW3 if I thought it would be a good idea, want to avoid buying the KW1, and be wishing I’d gone the extra money and bought the KW3.

There’s a lot of speed ramps, made worse by damage from frost, near my house.

So I want comfort and stance, but still well damped and not floaty at motorway speeds.

Excuse the, hopefully relevant, “interjection”.

Thanks.
                    Last edited by macspring; 27 December 2016, 13:45.

Comment

Good question, although being realistic here, no coilover is going to be particularly comfortable! The spring rates V1 to V3 are the same but the extra damping control on the V3 will allow for more adjustment and fine tuning for track use and the ultimate in handling but it might not be worth the extra effort for a road car where you'd be as well spending the difference between the two sets on some decent tyres or a brake upgrade, if these have not been done already. If the rest of the car is up to scratch then the V3s are going to be pretty awesome, although not for their comfort factor more for their hoon factor
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Rusty,

I never realised the KW1 and the KW3 used the same springs and rating.

And that the only difference is the KW3's shocks are adjustable to bump and rebound,
                        as opposed to being fixed on the KW1?

Comment

Differences are V1 = fixed, V2 = adjustable rebound, V3 = adustable compression and rebound.

http://www.kw-suspensions.co.uk/uk/

From the information on a recent thread, you can't choose the spring rates on a V1 setup but you might be able to on a V3. Spring rates were quoted on the same thread for V1 and if my memory serves me well, ciranthemurph has V3, which had the same rates Only differences for the S2 coupe setups are the >950kg <950kg front axle loads.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I have an RS6 plus with H&R Coilovers and the ride is terrible! Drove one with KW Coilovers and they are much better.
                            V10 Audi RS 6 Saloon - 420mm Ceramics, Audi exclusive bits, MTM bits, Milltek, MRC Tuned - 757BHP/967NM
                            V8 Audi S8 - Bi-Xenons, TV, Sat Nav, Bose, Blinds
                            V8 Audi A8 quattro Sport - Solar Roof, Blinds, Bose

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                              If money was not the overriding issue, and one has an Avant for regaulr daily driver street only use, would one buy KW1 or KW3 ?
                              Hi,
                              Sorry to interject...
                              V1's are for normal everyday use, where as V3's are for 'fast road' or moderate track use.
                              I personally would stick with V1's for anyone that wants a good quality aftermarket kit without the hassle of messing about with different settings. V3's are recommended if you know your stuff with suspension setups otherwise the V1's preset damping will be more than adequate.
                              Anyone that needs a setup mainly for track use will need to look at KW Clubsport 2/3 way kits.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53493

Thanks
                              Yaz
                              1992 Audi 100 2.8 Quattro
                              1993 Audi Cab 2.3
                              1995 Audi URS6 Avant
                              1999 Audi S8 D2 FL
                              2005 Skoda Octavia Elegance Variant TDi
                              2012 VW CC BlueMotion Tech DSG

Comment

Working...
                              X