Audi 200 all over the place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 200 all over the place

Now that I (hopefully) got the leaking camshaft seal fixed, is time to tackle next problem with my Audi.

When driving even with 185/65R15 winter tires and accelerating, not necessary flat out, but little bit harder than what grand moms does the Audi is really easily going all over the lane. Especially if there are any tire grooves like we usually have in here. The harder the acceleration more it pulls here and there and it's takes effort to keep it go straight. None of my other cars have had similar problem. I'm guessing that with the wider (225/45R17) summer tires the problem is even worse. I don't remember how bad it was last autumn with the summer tires, but it wasn't good either.

Also when just cruising it's really sensitive and you can easily over correct steering.

I was told that bad steering damper could be the cause so I ordered a new one. I then took out the old one and found out that it's as good as the new one expect bit rusty. But the functionality was just the same. It haven't lost any damping power.

So my next step is to check front bush as well probably check the tire alignment(not sure the english word). Any way to check are the tires like this \ / or like this / \ too much.

Are there any any certain bushing that I should pay more attention than other? My other hubby car has solid axles so there are lot less bushing.

I don't know if this is related problem, but once the car is driven for awhile so that engine and transmission are nice and warm the steering starts to squeak at about center position if the steering wheel is turned left and right a little. Squeak can be also heard and felt from steering wheel. Sometimes it does it also when parked, but at least when the car is moving even slowly. Today it didn't make it when car was parked so I couldn't test if the noise comes also when engine is off.

Dry bushing somewhere or something more serious? Top of the suspension strut has been guessed as one possible place for that noise although I'm not so sure since it's so depended on that temperature. On cold car I haven't been able to get that squeak.

The problem could be the stearing rack.I had this problem on my audi 200 many years ago and had to replace it.

Comment

Have you swapped back to summer tyres and tried it? I had a MG Midget (170bhp) it was dangerous to drive with winters tyres on the back. We used them for gravel lanes type rally events, but on tarmac to car wouldn't even go straight, just spinning the wheels up at 50mph. They were 165/70R13, but when back to 175/60R13 normal tyres the car was perfect.

Ivan

Comment

Not yet summer tires, but what I remember last autumn when I drove it awhile with summer tires it was just as bad as winter tires.

Dang it if the problem is in steering rack. I was hoping I could get away with just bushing replace. Well, have to investigate more once I get under the car.

Comment

When my tracking (Tyre alignment) was out its was bad especially when you let off the throttle after giving it the beans. Mine was caused by the fact the guy before had all the bushes changed but only got the front wheels tracked.

Comment

Okay, so once I get the summer tires installed I'll go through all the bushing and see if I find any loose and make sure that all those tracking nuts and bolts open nice and easy and take car to the shop where they check/correct the tracking.

Comment

Working...
            X