Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing rear wheel bearings on an Avant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing rear wheel bearings on an Avant?

For a while now I've had a bit of a weird noise from the rear of the car. Paranoia made me think it was the diff but now I've listened a bit more maybe not

The noise is speed related, stay exactly the same whether the rear diff is locked or not, changes slightly under braking but is still there. It's a bit of a hum/rumble/'click' every rev.

Last night I noticed it seemed to be from the left rear and that it got louder going round right hand bends (all the weight on the left of the car) so I'm guessing its a wheel bearing.

How easy is it to do the rears on the Avant? Are they like the fronts (press in/out jobs) or can they be done without tonnes of force?

Also a part number or price would be cool if anyone knows it. Euro Carparts list it as 628440950 WHEEL BEARING AUDI 100 ,A6 A4 82 mm BEARING 94 – at £58.43 plus VAT is this right?

Cheers

Leigh
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

i have had my left rear bearing changed in may,it took about 2 hour´s,you will need a a press,that is they easy´s way.they are the same as the front´s i got them cheap about 900 dkr fore 2 with new bolt´s,that´s about 120 euro´s.mine had the same noise as your´s,i haven´t come around changing the right one.
    i bought SKF one´s can check the number´s tomorrow.

RIX

Comment

They are a pressed in/out setup like the fronts. The bearing is 82mm IIRC but it's cheaper from us stealers

4D0 407 625 E retail @ £49.40+VAT

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Working...
      X