What has bent or moved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has bent or moved

After my forced offroad overtaking manoeuvre, my tracking is definitely out.

I've had the front wheels off to see if anything is bent and there is nothing obvious.

The camber is like this: ns | \ os and the tracking is ns | / os.

So the ns camber is almost non existent and tracking on the os is way out with the front of the tyre sticking out.

I was thinking that the subframe might have moved? The steering arms look ok, the os is supposed to have a slight bend for clearance isn't it? I'm going to have a good look at the steering rack to see if anything has bent there but any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I would have thought that the lower arm would have taken a lot of the shunt and if that did bent then that would cause both the change in camber and wheel "toe".
    96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
    96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Wishbone bent? If its the pressed type I could imagine an impact from below with the weight of the vehicle on top would bend one of those.

Are the wheels central in the wheel arch? If not that would be a sign that its the wishbone.

Hope you get it sorted.

Comment

The wishbones are the cast type and don't look to be bent at all, both the wheels locate centrally in the arches as well. Cheers for the ideas.

Comment

The balljoints can move, they would be my first port of call (they are known to slip if you bounce of a kerb in snow) (Aaron had problems with them moving when launching his drag car), the subframe can move. You also have a slight amount of potential movement in the hub carrier/upright bolts/holes.

The pressed wishbones will bend relatively easily if they are loaded in certain ways
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I did have a good look at the ball joint mounts to see if they had moved at all, couldn't see any signs but it is quite hard to tell.

Comment

Working...
            X