Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Photos of a urS6 front Strut Assembly in "pieces" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Photos of a urS6 front Strut Assembly in "pieces" ?

As per title, have a knocking noise, ( like one's own knee joint cracking ), during hard acceleration when the front of the car lifts, and also occurs when doing a three point turn.

Seemed to arrive after the car was jacked up for a while when replacing the big lower "wishbones".

My recollection is that there is a white plastic disc in the assembly, and I feel that may have become dislodged or moved a bit, causing this single clicking/cracking/clunk sound. It comes from both sides.

Want to see how the urS6 front strut worked in advance of stripping it down, so that I can order any bits in advance, as currently using the car as a daily driver.

Only want to do the job once.

Thanks for any photos.

The white thing is the ball bearing support. There are three indents in the ball bearing support that correspond to the heads on the concave support studs. If it is not installed properly, it gets crushed by the heads of the three studs on the concave support, breaking the plastic and preventing the balls from moving, etc. = nasty noise.

This one was not installed correctly and got crushed:

Use silicon caulk to hold it in place on the concave support during assembly.

A disassembled strut looks like this (Note: Some NAmerican PNs):

Some more front suspension info here:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/24392.phtml
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Dave,

Perfect photo.

You’re going straight to heaven ! ...

Pass on my thanks to whoever took the time to take the photo. Helps all of us.

Thanks very much for replying. ...

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
        Perfect photo. You’re going straight to heaven ! Pass on my thanks to whoever took the time to take the photo. Helps all of us. Thanks very much for replying.
        Don't know about heaven. Quite often people invite my to go to the *other* place (when they don't like my answers)

I took those photos during my front suspension rebuild last year. Replaced everything including the subframe mounts. I purposely laid out the strut components so I could later annotate the photo with the PNs.

The busted/crushed ball bearing support was discovered when I disassembled the right side strut. Had been installed by a "professional". (Now I do all my own work)
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
        X