Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beep Beep Beep

Oh flippin' heck, I've got the damned hydraulic warning beep AGAIN

The PAS is definitely not leaking now with my new rack and all new hydraulic hoses (got a standard A80 rack so got rid of the cr*ppy servotronic, but I'd disabled that anyway, but don't let anyone tell you that you can't fit the standard rack as you can), but the dreaded beeper is going off again.

It's probably the Bomb isn't it? Easy way to test?
    How much for a new bomb? Easy to fit, or should I leave it to my mechanic?
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Think you can test the bomb by counting the number of times you can pump the brake pedal, there is info on whats healthy etc on Pauls Website as i remember reading it over there when i was using it as a guide to buy mine

Sure its something like 50+ pumps, could be wrong tho.
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Yep, its on the S2 central site, great guide btw Paul

Bomb is simple to change out, even i managed it...

Quck question on the rack, do you have a part number, where did you get the A80 one from and hows the steering feel compared to the servotronic version.

Cheers,

David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Don't worry about it, as long as your bomb passes the brake pump test you will be fine. (That is asuming that you have checked the obvious stuff like fluid level etc.)
        Mine does it EVERY time after a spell of standing for more than 3 hours.....

Cheers,

Steve.
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

It's just such a PITA: every time you start the car, that infernal noise...

@ S2driver: I'm afraid I don't have the part number of the rack, I didn't do the job myself in the end, I got my garage to do it (Surrey Lodge) and it's not on the workshop notes. I paid £220 for the new rack.

The new rack gives me the same steering weight and feedback as the old rack did after I'd defeated the Servotronic, but without any of the clunks, leaks, creaks and wheezing noises. That is, you get a consistent weight relative to your grip, can actually feel something of what's going on road-wise, it's not vague on the straight ahead position, and generally gives you some sensation that you've got a proper car!

I simply can not understand why, under any circumstances, Audi thought it a good idea to put the Servotronic system on the 3B: it's sh*t. Being able to disable it by unplugging the relay was probably one of the single-best Mods I've done on the car to improve the driver/car interface experience - the other fantastic one is the short shift kit which is again a thing of beauty as far as improving the gearshift is concerned vs. the effort and cost required.
          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

I remember my old A80 with "fixed" PAS, and it always felt great! Same goes for the 10v CQ, then I test drove Kitty and got the shock of my life!! Wayyyyyy too light and totally lacking in feel. The servotronic mod is simple.

My short shift will be attached when I have a gearbox worth fitting it to...

__MDC__
            Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Working...
            X