Spring rate on coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring rate on coilovers

Right I'm having my ur suspension made into coilovers buy Tonks but I'm undecided on spring rate .

What do you boys recommend if you have had your stock suspension made in to coilovers ?

Or running a premium brand of coilovers ?

Brian has a pretty good idea now that he has done mine and he can guide you on what you want to do.

Comment

whats the rough axle weights on a 20v converted UR?

EDIT: What do you want out of the car, i.e. is it a mostly street car, or mostly track? that will have a big bearing. More importantly, what shocks will you be using and will you be getting them dyno'd to manage the spring rate you choose?
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

1290 kurb weight I think mate.

Mostly weekend driving some track days really and I have koni shocks .

Comment

for a firm street set-up I would try 50n front and 60n rears
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            for a firm street set-up I would try 50n front and 60n rears
            What's that in lbs?
            Audi Nut!!!

Comment

multiply by 5.71
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

on my 1.7t car, and my soft bum, 250lb front and 325 rear seemed harsh.

so im going to be using 225 front and 315 rear

even though stock are 200ish and 300ish on the rs2, for some reason, the above setting on the springs seems much stiffer than stock. So that is why im not going only by numbers now that i have felt the 2.5ID springs on my coilover setup

Comment

its the fact that your dampers are not matched to the spring rates that makes the ride harsh
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

why are they not? bilstein shocks were made as an aftermarket shock for stock springs.

at the moment im barely higher in spring rate, so why would they be so different?

Comment

You said it was harsh running 250lb springs, stock are 200lb. 25% stiffer is not insignificant

If you're not going to have the damping set up correctly with the springs it will never be a good ride no matter what the spring rate
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

bilsteins do not have damping modification as konis do.

Also this is what various sources of spring manufacturers suggested when going to a slightly lower stance, that i would need anything from 15-25% stiffer springs to compensate.

Bilstein only makes the sprint versions of the same shocks, which i know for a fact have the same damping abilities but have an internal clamp that makes the movement shorter, thus making them suitable for shorter height cars.

I have seen from this setup now that i dont need 25% more stiffness. So currently being on 250 front and 300 rear, its fine, with the fronts being slightly harsher for my liking, which is why they are being replaced with 225.
                        Rear, its also fine, but i could do with a small addition from 300-to 315 so that it can cope with loading the car with stuff, now that the family has grown. + i can get it to 10inch on the rear with ability to adjust the height from stock to lower, so hopefully that will be the ultimate setup for me.

Currently drives 100% better than stock in cornering and stance, but its about 20-30% harsher at the front. (another issue is the 8inch spring which bottoms out sometimes). Otherwise a lot of people would be happy with 250-325 for their needs

Comment

hijack;

i have 350lb springs on my 91 coupe quattro, wayyy to stiff. also they're only 8" springs so i can't raise the car too well.

i want to get some softer taller springs for rallyx and offroading... and comfort. what would you suggest for a setup? i was told 250 would be soft for this chassis, what do you think?

i was thinking 250lb front and rear, 12" front 10" rear spring height with koni adjustable shocks for a urs4 so i can have a bit more height. do i have to get them revalved for the softer springs or is that rate within the range of there dampning?
                          2011 black VW Touareg TDI - Daily/hauler
                          1991 black CQ- rally poser
                          1990 titan CQ- rombotis brunhilde racecor
                          1986 black Yamaha Fazer FZX - cafe bike project

Comment

Originally posted by frostyflax17 View Post
                            hijack;

i have 350lb springs on my 91 coupe quattro, wayyy to stiff. also they're only 8" springs so i can't raise the car too well.

i want to get some softer taller springs for rallyx and offroading... and comfort. what would you suggest for a setup? i was told 250 would be soft for this chassis, what do you think?

i was thinking 250lb front and rear, 12" front 10" rear spring height with koni adjustable shocks for a urs4 so i can have a bit more height. do i have to get them revalved for the softer springs or is that rate within the range of there dampning?
                            its prob not that stiff, they struts are more likely underdamped, hence the springybouncy feeling

i had 350s all around on my 4kq with bilstein sports and it wasnt too harsh at all, with bilstein hd's on the same setup it didnt feel nearly as smooth
                            BEAST '90 CQ 24v VRT / O1E / v8 rear, HOLSET SUPER 40 http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=193#p37887
                            DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=201#p38264

Comment

i can jump with all my weight on the tailgate and move the car down maybe 1/2 an inch. and when i did the rallyx it was pretty stiff feeling. My TT's coils are 400lbs and the dampers are set to match and it feels very similar.

i think hank had the stuts valved to the springs when he built them. trying to remember what he said.

regardless, i think some much softer springs would be beneficial for comfort and rallyx
                              2011 black VW Touareg TDI - Daily/hauler
                              1991 black CQ- rally poser
                              1990 titan CQ- rombotis brunhilde racecor
                              1986 black Yamaha Fazer FZX - cafe bike project

Comment

Working...
                              X