help with bilstein fronts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with bilstein fronts

Hi sorry for the silly question but are the s2 bilsteins oil or gas?

because when I`ve removed the cap the bottoms full of oil if so is the oil stored in the outer casing with the bilstein insert sitting in the oil with the seal on the top inside the cap

my rods a undamaged but the seal is shot so rather than spend $£$ I could replace the cap for £15 and relace the oil

the inserts i fitted to my old 80 years back held their own oil

When I started my time(at a vauxhaul dealer) when replacing strut inserts I was told to put a squirt of gear oil into the strut housing/casing before fitting the insert.....can't remember the reason for this but I've done it ever since.
    *probably to stop the insert corroding thus easier to remove next time?*

As for S2 struts, I would think they're gas.

Comment

Some oil is kept in the outer casing to cool the (gas) shock as it compresses !
      This is what I was told when I rebuilt my strut legs.
      I think you can also use neat antifreeze !
      For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

The oil is there to help transfer heat from the shock absorber out into the strut body. Some people use neat anti freeze, I stick to ATF.

Comment

Comment

ah it gets better so just because there was oil leaking past does not mean it`s u/s they have been lying on there side all year one had sprung a leak so was looking to replace them

ive ordered new top and seal and new gaiters and bumpstops the dampers are in very good condition was just a bit annoyed when one sprung a leak lol

Comment

"It's good practice to add a few squirts of oil before putting the inserts in" - I was told this many moons ago, the reason why? ... "reduces road noise & vibration" ??? I never questioned it
              Audi S2 Coupe 1995
              VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
              VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
              Carrera Subway 8

Comment

flipin hell parts arrived today cant get the tops for the struts so i`m off to the bearing place the moro to try and get the seals pic`s to follow

Comment

Working...
                X