Power Steering Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Pump

Noticed some strange noises coming from under the bonnet when stood in front of the car. Turns out to be the power steering pump. Noisy rattles, sounds like some kind of bearing failure. I have also had the symptom of the brake warning light after the car being parked overnight.
    Anyone got any information on these pumps? The car is a 94 ABY Avant.
    Who makes the pump for Audi? Can they be bought direct from the manufacturer?
    I saw another posting that there was a company near Chester who overhaul pumps. Anyone know what they are called?
    How much does a new pump cost, anyone have a price to hand?

Thanks

Alistair

Did you check the fluid level, mine also made a rattling noise after refilling the system it was gone. the pump is very expensive, maybe you will one on ebay.de

rgards,

Erik
    Getting everything sorted out for my 5++ hp project

Comment

If your fluid is low (and it sounds like it is), get a can of genuine Audi GS2000 PAS fluid from GSF and top it up pronto.

Of course, what youu've got to wonder is where is it going if it is leaking? Maybe you have a split hose, or maybe it's the RACK, or could be the pump...
      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Or the little cross head nr the banjo
        Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
        S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Mine was also leaking at one of the banjo connections, I think it was a bit twisted after I changed the radiator.
          Getting everything sorted out for my 5++ hp project

Comment

or as i found it could be a return hose which goes from the top of the bomb up to a T which lives under the battery tray on the 3B. I didn't have the time or the ability to reach and replace that hose when i replaced the bomb last month.

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Low Fluid

I'm fairly certain it's not low fluid. Forgot to mention in the original post that there is play in the shaft, end to end. Also, the noise is metallic, not the normal groaning noise associated with low fluid and it is present even when there is no load on the steering.
              Another couple of questions, what does the overhaul kit from Audi include? Is it only the seals? Is there an exploded diagram of the pump?

Thanks

Alistair

Comment

Any More Help

Anyone got any more info? Anyone got a spare pump, even if it doesn't work?

Alistair

Comment

Working...
                X