Konis are on and she's a beauty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konis are on and she's a beauty!

Have been a busy boy this week, with the S2 anyway ! Fitted a clutch master cylinder on tuesday evening and then yesterday got the Koni adjustables and new top mounts fitted all round. Cheers to Neal at All Audi for doing the job and John and the chaps there putting up with me for a whole day (I decided to do a few odds and sods ! Was so excited that I got there at 7.45 for an 8.30/9 start! (It's sad I know but...). LOL, at one point there was my S2 on a ramp, Neal's out front, a urS4 saloon, a urS4 Avant (With mods, 330bhp aparently) AND an RS2 (that couldn't open his bonnet!) I made the comment that these 'rare' S cars were actually quite common and found exception with the urS4 Avant owner !

Anyway, all the excitement was worthwhile as the transformation is quite superb. Where the old girl resembled the QE2 rather than a car, she now has suspension that actually works! I went for the 1.5 turns at the front and 1 turn at the rear option and it seems to work well (thanks S2 Forum!). The ride is a little more 'crashy' but I'm guessing it'll calm down after a few miles and if it doesn't then sod it, it's a small trade-off. Gave it an absolute thrashing to work today and even got it a little out of shape at one point whereas before it would have understeered and wallowed now it responded beatifully and made me giggle rather then grimace. It would appear that I'm in the comfort zone for the next month or so (hopefully) before anyhting else needs replacing or upgrading!

Finally got some 225/50/16 Goodyear Eagles to fit to complete the business.

Just got to change my signature now!
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Where did you get the Koni kit and what did you pay?
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Sounds pretty cool, KONI's transformed mine too. I got the twists wrong I think tho, set them 1.5 turns from fully hard on front and 1 on the rear so its very crashy at min will adjust them over xmas when i next have the car in bits.

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

@ S2 Ant

Konis were on 'special offer' from Demon Tweeks at £430 delivered. Got the parts correct and were much quicker than they said they'd be. No complaints.

@ Greg S

Set mine 1.5F and 1R from fully loose.

Got the 225 Eagle F1's on there and it all tracked and cambered today at Protyre in Bristol. Watched the guy do the job and so got it done quite well. Found out that the tyres were £100 a corner new! At £10 fitting I've only paid £35 and I've still got the rims to sell on Fleabay! Job Doned!

Whilst I'm rather knackered and skint following my week of S2 pampering, she's feeling like I wanted her to when I bought her back in August and that's all that matters.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

The old girl must be running well as we had a little play with a chap poncing about in an Elise whilst en-route to the commercial mecca of the South West... The Mall at Cribbs Causeway. Anyway, the Elise was arsing about in front, overtaking - undertaking etc and being a general tool. So I obviously decided that I'd test out the new 'handling package' (tee hee!) and have a play with teh featherlight sports car. Being an ignoramous the Elise driver obviously missed the red stripey badge on the front of the 'oh so subtle' pearl weiss and decided to teach me a lesson by flooring it and disappearing into the distance... when I drew alongside he looked a little confused! It might have been slow but the Elise sounded immense at full chat, just missing the 'chirp' of a wastegate!
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Special Offer Andy???

Can you post the Demon Tweeks part num?
            Last edited by Jamo; 13 December 2004, 16:01.

Comment

Good news you're pleased with the new suspension setup, it does transform the car's dynamics. Apparently you should also change both ARBS - that's probably going to be my next project.

Be careful if you try and out handle an Elise in really twisty stuff: I had the distinct pleasure of hooning around the Swiss Alps this summer in an Elise S2 111S, and I have to say it handles like an absoute dream! My Koni'ed &HR'ed S2 felt boaty and sluggish in comparison, but no surprise when it weighs something like 800kg more and has most of the engine ahead of the front axle!

Good fun though - I'll never tire of surprising people who think they've got a quick car and are going to blat the rather ordinary-looking Audi Coupe, but who instead get a face full of my exhust !
              Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

@ Jamo

Was told they were on offer and should have been around £500. Quotes from Dialynx & MPC were over £500. Can't get the part numbers as I'm in Sheffield at the mo rather than home in Bristol, Demon were spot on over the phone so might be worth a call. Will post them once I'm back if I remember!

@ dan_b

Wouldn't have stood a chance in hell of out-handling the Elise but in a straight line it was a bit easier! Have the ARB's on the 'soonish' wishlist, along with the front brakes.
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

What brake options are you considering?
                  Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Made a call to Demon Tweeks and just got a call back.... Not good...

They guy went away and has just come back to say they can get Koni Sports Shocks for £422.43, but he cant get hold of any springs as no one is listing springs for the Coupe, inc H&R & Eibach :S :S :S

Is this guy talking bull or what???

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                    Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Having trouble sourcing these!!!

Shocks Koni Sports front and rears work out at £437.44 from motorworld

AND the springs.... H&R now make them to order as not a stock item..... Cost £338 for a set of 4!!!

God damn these cars!
                      Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Thats approaching the price for KW coilovers. Check www.suspensionsupplies.de for prices. Best is Variant3 but not sure about current prices.
                        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Ive never been able to find a KW kit for the coupe tho

You avant boys have it easy cos of the RS2 being readily cattered for
                          Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Try motorsportworld
                            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

way ahead LOL, ive tried god knows how many sites now... altho i have found what look to be a full set of springs for about £85... Ventura Springs, which are apparently the ones that are used in Bilstein kits and they are from Motorsport World
                              Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Working...
                              X