ARB/sway bar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARB/sway bar question

I was interested in a sale of a RS2 front ARB, but shipping to Australia would've been a deal breaker so I decided to find a local custom ARB manufacturer and recieved a quote that made it worthwhile and alot cheaper and they will use my original as a template.

Question is, has anyone ever used a front ARB thicker than the RS2 28mm bar?

Since it is custom I can get it made to any size, but not sure if any thicker would be better.
    Last edited by Pat D; 20 March 2013, 12:47.
    ABY S2 stroker (work in progress)

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Could you have say 3 way adjustment like the rear whiteline bar, just a suggestion if its going to be custom!
    I think it takes very little to make bar much stiffer.
    1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Thats a great idea, I just spoke to them and was told they can do that for me

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

If any of the local guys with S2's are interested in one, let me know as I will be dropping the template bar off next week

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

glad I could help
          1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

you have to be careful with the swaybar.. it change the cars beahviur in the cornering and so on... there are some sheet in this forum about the thicknes and stiffnes... in quattros car there are thicker swaybar in the rear, then in the front.. so if i will guess.. 28mm in front and 20mm in rear, or 30mm in front and 32, or 33 in rear..and some have the weight in mind too, so the does the hollow verson.. the sliffness are even better

Comment

Why would you want it harder than RS2 on the front?

You need to understand what your putting on the car, the RS2 FARB alone induces more understeer but makes the car more stable to drive.

It's best installed in conjunction with an uprated rear where the combo makes the car superb.

Comment

I would be interested in one, even though I am in the states. Maybe a group buy?

Greg W.
                They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

If you're fitting coilovers, you'd be better off stiffening up the car with stiffer springs than with a whacking great ARB.

If you do go for a large front bar then you must balance it with a suitable rear bar to avoid ruining the handling balance.
                  Last edited by Rusty; 25 February 2013, 16:51.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

sway bar and stiffness.. be careful

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    If you're fitting coilovers, you'd be better off stiffening up the car with stiffer springs than with a whacking great ARB.

If you do go for a large front bar then you must balance it with a suitable rear bar to avoid ruining the handling balance.
                    to have very stiff springs and shocks arent no fun... in the dayli driver car.. medium stiffness in the spring an schock setup...
                    a normal car( rear drive) does have the thickest swaybar in front... like a volvo 240.. fx... use the 23mm in front, and balance the car for the overstear with 21mm or for a wagon may only 19mm...( there are some 26mm in front and 23mm rear)... and stiffness in spring in front about 50% stiffer in front, but only 15% stiffer rear.. very nice car to drive..
                    THE quattrocars are differnt.. they do understeer... so then you need some stiffer parts in the rear of the car... so you need stiffer springs, and shocks in the rear, and the swaybar have to be thicker in the rear( be careful).. so 30mm rear and 28 mm in front...i think its the noseheavy engine and gearkombo it will be like this...

Comment

I was told once the factory ur rally cars had the front bar removed altogether

Comment

There is no need to have stiffer front ---> lots of understeer. I have front RS2 FARB on mine, but without Whiteline on the rear I've hated this setup. Stiffer fron FARB is useless without upgrading rear end. Btw I’m running on the rally suspension with uniballs and bound features…

Comment

I am not reducing the weight anywhere on the car and I will be quite heavy up front with a stroker block and keeping the A/C gear so I would prob want to go with a RS2 type 28mm bar that is adjustable on the front and at least a whiteline on the rear. I haven't asked yet, but I'm assumming the company making the bar would charge me the same price for a custom rear as they are quite similar. Maybe a adjustable rear that is 26mm, that way I can use the same 26mm bushings that are used up front.

The emailed quote for the custom front is $297. I was told adding the extra holes may, or may not see a little extra on that figure but that will be confirmed once they recieve my bar to use as a template.

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

what springs and shocks are you going to be running Pat?
                            Everything is a compromise so it all has a bearing on what you run. Its all subjective of course, but personally I would caution against going too stiff on the ARBs, as you compromise overall grip and ride quality for less body roll, not necessarily gaining any performance advantage in the process. Adjustability I would say is essential if you are going into unknown territory, so you can tune it. That is a very good price for a custom ARB though
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              what springs and shocks are you going to be running Pat?
                              Everything is a compromise so it all has a bearing on what you run. Its all subjective of course, but personally I would caution against going too stiff on the ARBs, as you compromise overall grip and ride quality for less body roll, not necessarily gaining any performance advantage in the process. Adjustability I would say is essential if you are going into unknown territory, so you can tune it. That is a very good price for a custom ARB though
                              I have KW variant-1 all round. I am indeed going into unknown territory but I guess with a 28mm front bar it would end up very similar to RS2 spec. I'm thinking I should be somewhat safe and in the right area with that size and being adjustable. All good theory though

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Working...
                              X