Spring Rates wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Rates wanted

Hello can anyone recommend what coilover spring rates to use on a 80 TDI saloon (front and rear)? 250lbs?
    I will be using a weld on sleeve conversion as coilovers are very expensive for the saloon, and i have used diy coilovers before to great sucess.

And also the length of the springs, i think i will get away with an 8'' spring?

Looking to lower it maybe 50/60mm.

And if anyone knows of any problems i might find adapting the struts please let me know

The specs of the KW coilovers is on here somewhere, have a search. They use 60N/mm front but can't remember the rear ratings for a B4 saloon/avant.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

KW uses 60 and 70N/mm springs depending on car model (B3/B4 etc) and age of the kit. I have sligtly stiffer ones (400 imperial) on my 1250kg B3 quattro toy. They're on the soft side when taking her to the track...

You can use the same rate on all corners.

I use 7" springs with 3" helpers but you will need 6" + 4" if you want low.
      -

Comment

The B3 shares the coupe suspension design, which does indeed use the same spring rates all round, or in the case of the S2, slightly stiffer rears are benificial. However, the B4 has the same rear design as the later B5, so uses different style and rate springs, so you can't use the same all round:-

Taken from Lloyd's thread on H&R spring rates -

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
        At last, a very helpful person has confirmed actual H&R RS2 spring rates.
        They are progressive and rated as follows:

FRONT 43 N/mm [16.2% stiffer than OEM, 37 N/mm]
        REAR 55N/mm [5.8% stiffer than OEM, 52 N/mm]
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Thanks for the replies, mine is a B4 by the way i never mentioned that.
          I see the spring rates are for a RS2, mine is only a TDI, with a weight of approx 1350kg. I assume the tdi lump is heavier at the front or is there that much to make a difference?

Comment

TDI will be a little lighter than the great big lump of pig iron that is an I5 20VT.

Just thinking on, this won't be quattro, so rear spring rates above won't be suitable.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

140mm long 60n/mm spring on the old kws I bought. 20n/mm tender spring. Rear was progressive. What inserts are you going with?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                TDI will be a little lighter than the great big lump of pig iron that is an I5 20VT.

Just thinking on, this won't be quattro, so rear spring rates above won't be suitable.
                I taught the 20v was aluminium i currently have brand new KYB inserts , may not be suitable if i drop it over 40mm

Comment

Wanted.

Hello. I am looking for a rear diff the codes are aec Ars ayv. From s2 coupe or 90-94 coupe or
                  Audi 90 1990-91. Can anyone help? Ringo.

Comment

Working...
                  X