Power Steering Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alistair E
    Does anyone have a guide on how to bleed the system after the pump has been removed?

Thanks

Alistair
    You have a PM
    Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
    Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

Comment

The system should be self bleeding, by turning the steering from lock to lock, i have drained mine before and put in fresh, started her up and she was fine???
      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Rattling has stopped

Latest update.

Decided to put the pump back on the car, see what happens, then maybe source a replacement. However, with no fluid in the pump, the endfloat did seem and sound excessive.
        Therefore, stripped the pump again and decided to try and replace one of the thrust washers, which between them control endfloat. Original washers are 1mm thick, or at least mine were. Endfloat was approx 0.7mm. Replacement washer is 1.5mm. Original washers are hardened steel, replacement isn't until I source one.
        Didn't bother with a replacement seal kit as I didn't know if the pump would be replaced.
        Refitted the pump and bingo, no more rattling. Touch wood, no leaks either.
        Very very lucky.
        Easy job to strip the pump, but couldn't remove the cross head bungs which hold the pistons in.

Hope this helps anyone else with a rattling pump and thanks to everyone for the advice.

Alistair

Comment

Well done Alistair. Hope this solves the problem. Looks like I am due for a tear down come summer.

Comment

Hope this helps anyone else with a rattling pump and thanks to everyone for the advice.
            Excellent work. Cost of washer £0.06, cost of pump ~ £400.00.
            Let us know how it holds up.
            Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
            Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

Comment

Brilliant, endfloat on the vane pump i take it, giving side clearance and leakage. Glad you solved a problem. Nice one, always usefull to know.
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X