No announcement yet.

Front track rod replacement on a 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I think I've got it in the optimum position, but the steering damper bolt is still fairly impossible

Comment

Though I suppose if I remove the damper at the chassis end I won't need to touch the rack end nut/bolt??

Comment

Chassis end is a right pain to get to with the engine harnesses etc right in the way.
        Worth the effort though to bin it - useless P.O.S. and you won't even notice the difference with it removed.
        I removed my old one, ran without for a few months. Then I tried fitting a brand new one and couldn't even tell. Crap.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Well to bin it I'll still need to get it off I've a new one sitting waiting to fit

This weekend is not going to be fun!

Comment

As predicted, not overly fun. Taking it off wasn't bad at all. I don't understand all the nonsense about removing the steering damper as you can put your hand through the wheel arch and there's a fine wee access hole that you can fit a finger in

A bit of a fiddle getting it back but nothing too bad, except refitting the steering damper bolt. I spent about 4 hours trying and just couldn't get it on the thread. My fingers are too big and my arms don't bend in the way they need to I'll order a stubby 15mm ratchet spanner and see how I get on with that.

Comment

Yup that bolt for the damper is PITA. Easy solution is to not bother refitting the damper
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Yup that bolt for the damper is PITA. Easy solution is to not bother refitting the damper
                I would if it wasn't already fitted at the rack side and that's not coming off while everything else is in place

Comment

Somehow I remember that being reasonably easy to get off, in fact I think when I did this with my battery tray fitted some years ago now, I disconnected the damper from the rack yoke and left in situ as I got really angry trying to get to the mounting bolt at the chassis end
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                  X