Symptoms of worn topmounts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symptoms of worn topmounts??

I was wondering whether I have worn topmounts on my 1991 3B or not.
    I would therefore like to know what the symptons would be so I cna compare with my situation.

How could I check / verify the fact?

thanks in advance
    Carlo
    No power, no glory!
    S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

I am also interested in this so please someone say something.
    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

When youve got the wheels on the ground and the bonnet open, pop the plastic dust covers off the strut tops. Get a mate to wiggle the steering wheel and see how much movemnt is in the mount itself, also how far the metal cap protrudes above the strut top is a good indication.
      HTH
      Nice one
      Gav
      S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

how far does the metal cap protrude then on good mounts and on failed mounts.

Im sure the car tends to tramline badly too when the mounts are shot
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
          how far does the metal cap protrude then on good mounts and on failed mounts.

Im sure the car tends to tramline badly too when the mounts are shot
          Good question Audiman, was mine too.
          What's to tramline???

Thanks
          No power, no glory!

Comment

Try this, very good explanation

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...tramlining.jsp
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Definitely agree with the tramlining,picks up all the various different cambers in the road, also just generally feels odd (lol, very technical). I always thought goosed top mounts sat at an awkward angle and poked out through the turret more,
              Gav
              S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Thanks for this excellent question, I've been wondering the same. I'll check mine tonight - I'm getting tramlining now in my 3B, plus a few creaking noises so something's definitely worn, but good to know how to diagnose the parts.
                Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

I actually bought some new ones for mine the other day from GSF.
                  Didnt get around to fitting them in the end as we ran out of time doing other bits but will do it later in the week or next week i think.
                  Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                  2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
                    I actually bought some new ones for mine the other day from GSF.
                    Didnt get around to fitting them in the end as we ran out of time doing other bits but will do it later in the week or next week i think.

Can the topmount swap easily be done by myself or do I need special tooling??
                    Is there some workinstruction??
                    Maybe you coould make some pictures and description while swapping?
                    No power, no glory!

Comment

Not the easiest of jobs, will need to remove the structs to do it, so need spring compressors etc..

Also unless you're very accurate at marking everything up you will need to have the alignment checked after also, to check camber settings.
                      Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
                        Not the easiest of jobs, will need to remove the structs to do it, so need spring compressors etc..

Also unless you're very accurate at marking everything up you will need to have the alignment checked after also, to check camber settings.
                        You can change the top mounts without removing the struts.

If you use a set of spring compressors and then undo the top mounts you can undo the notched nut in the top mount and change them and bolt them back up. You need two people to do it though.

Also if you remove the strut you need to undo 2 x 8mm bolts holding brake pipe bracket on.

13mm bolt that holds the ARB drop link in, 17mm for the steering arm. Then two bolts holding the strut on are about 21mm and 22mm from memory. Doing it this way wont affect the alignment but its still worth getting it checked after.

Greg
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Ah excellent, thanks for that Greg, might have saved us more stress LOL
                          Those small brackets you speak of for the brake pipe we sheared off, crappy things LOL.

Still need to work out whats loose on mine for it to do what its doing.

When moving the steering wheel there is a knock when it turns and this happens in both directions on initial movement, sounds like somethin has too much play in it, but cant work out what.
                          Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Working...
                          X