No announcement yet.

Coilovers - what else should I replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers - what else should I replace?

Will hopefully be getting a set of KWs fitted to the 16v at some point soon, so I want to replace/upgrade anything worth replacing while I'm at it.

So, top mounts/bearings, bushes, droplinks... what's a 'must do', what are the upgrade options, what wouldn't work, what works well...?

Talk to me! :-)

Defiantly the top mounts it seems hd ones are the best.
    I'd defiantly do the lower arm inner bushes with polys.

Comment

Agreed top mounts is a definite as the struts are off anyway. While you're in there I'd also do track rod ends and adjusters. Drop links and wishbone bushes. Check arb bushes also

Gav
      S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Cheers for the info. Any part numbers/links to what I should be looking at?

Or a diagram of the wishbone/strut of a 2wd so I can get an idea of what's what?!

Ask me anything about mk4 suspension... but here I've still got a lot to learn!!!

Comment

Top mounts are the same wether it's Quattro or fwd. The lower arm inner Bush is also the same. You will have pressed steel arms so you need the correct Bush. Tres are all the same too. A decent motor factors will be able to get eveverything with the eexception of ploys for lower arms. They are easy to get off eBay. If you are not fussed about poly you can buh complete lower arms for peanuts. Personally there is no play in drop links tres or bottom ball joints then why replace?
          However it's a good idea to free up the tre adjusters to make tracking easy.

Comment

Cool, so nothing too special to hunt down then. The topmounts, you mention hd - heavy duty? Any particular part I should be going for? I assume there isn't an OEM heavy duty topmount?

Will get it on the ramp and see what's looking a bit loose with the bushes.

ARBs... what's the setup on 2wd?

Comment

High density. Febi do them from memory. The arb set up is much the same in fact the front end is similar except slightly less beefed up.
              the bar is held to the front of the subprime by 2 bushes and a clamp. The strut connects to it via the drop links.

Comment

It is no more difficult than a mk4 golf platform

Comment

Rear ARB? The 2wd mk4 didn't have one, so that'd be a bonus ;-) Worth playing with thicker bars or no point?

Comment

It's up to you on the extra's but there is alot you can do...

Personally I'm going overkill but replacing drop links, tie rod ends and adjusters (ends were good after 10yrs/40k but destroyed the rubber getting old ones off), inner tie rod bushes, balljoints, all wishbone bushes, rear diff bushes.
                    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Working...
                    X