KW,s rubbing tyres!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KW,s rubbing tyres!

Fitted front coilovers today and have found that the arms on the KW,s must be at a slightly different angle, track rod end is now touching inside of tyre, 16" Avus wheels I think,

Has anyone experienced this ?
    Never had to use wheel spacers before, I reckon 10/15 mm should give good clearance.
    Where to buy ? What bolts ?

Steve
    1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Originally posted by stocious View Post
    Fitted front coilovers today and have found that the arms on the KW,s must be at a slightly different angle, track rod end is now touching inside of tyre, 16" Avus wheels I think,

Never had to use wheel spacers before, I reckon 10/15 mm should give good clearance.
    Where to buy ? What bolts ?

Steve
    I'd be concerned about why the track rod end is touching the tyre, that really doesn't sound right. I don't know of any issues with others although not sure of anyone with 16" wheels fitted.

They have been fitted the right way round right, they are L/R specific? I did read something about the track rod end sitting in a different location to compensate for the lowering, perhaps someone else can elaborate on whether that's an issue with stock wheels.

I've not put my wheels on yet so can't comment on that, but I've not heard of the issue at all in my research on the KWs.
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      I'd be concerned about why the track rod end is touching the tyre, that really doesn't sound right. I don't know of any issues with others although not sure of anyone with 16" wheels fitted.

They have been fitted the right way round right, they are L/R specific? I did read something about the track rod end sitting in a different location to compensate for the lowering, perhaps someone else can elaborate on whether that's an issue with stock wheels.

I've not put my wheels on yet so can't comment on that, but I've not heard of the issue at all in my research on the KWs.
      Agreed. I can imagine wheels with too high an offset could cause problems, but these are stock..?

Spacers (not that I'm advocating their use to fix your issue) should ideally be hubcentric and wheelcentric, so have their own lip that the wheel centre mounts on. You won't find any with a lip thinner than 10mm or so. But having said that if you're using a thin spacer, say 3/5mm, you'll still have a sufficient amount of hub protruding through to make the job safe.
      Go for the likes of H&R, Eibach, Forge.

Bolts - afaik a stock bolt is m14 1.5 27mm. If you're using 15mm spacers for example you'll need m14 1.5 42mm, or as close to that as you can find.

That's for bolt-through spacers.

Thicker spacers (typically 20mm up) are often a bolt-on design where you retain the use of your original bolts.

Oh, and OEM wheels almost always use radius seat bolts, aftermarket use 60 degree taper seat.

Hope that info is useful, but I'd try and investigate the issue before you start bolting bits on!!

Comment

Originally posted by stocious View Post
        Steve
        Known problem. At least one guy at the Dutch S2 forum faced the same problem. I believe he sent the units back and that's what should be done IMHO. If stock wheels don't fit anymore the part is not a direct replacement and therefore not right.

Comment

Weird. My old boloeros were really close to tre. Kws gave me more clearance!.

Comment

10mm spacers on the front make the wheels look much better 20-25 on the back and it'll look far better
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
              Known problem. At least one guy at the Dutch S2 forum faced the same problem. I believe he sent the units back and that's what should be done IMHO. If stock wheels don't fit anymore the part is not a direct replacement and therefore not right.
              So i'm not the only one, its ever so slightly touching the track rod end, TBH they look like lovely kit but im not happy with the composite adjustment collars or the piece below the top mount, sending them back is not an option as they took an eternity to get to me and were sent to the wrong place first, id rather just work around it than go through all that again

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                10mm spacers on the front make the wheels look much better 20-25 on the back and it'll look far better
                I reckon that 10 would clear nicely on the front, where does one but hubcentric ones then ?

backs also for good measure

Comment

I got mine from bambridge on the forums here ,came with longer bolts too.
                  https://www.facebook.com/rsport.components might have a better chance of response.

or H R Hub centric from places like http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/wheel-spacers
                  Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

same here....track rod end to tyre distance, I couldn;t get a finger width between them, and I'm on 18 inch wheels....I used FK Spacers ( hubcentric ) with 16mm rear, 11mm front....good quality , good price and gave me plenty enough clearance ....sourced longer radiused bolts from the 'net...job done....the extra width did fill the arches nicer, but I had to raise the height on the KWs as I was getting the odd tyre rub on the arches over bumps etc...
                    There is a reason why the clearance is made closer with KWs, I read up on it, but uselessly I can't recall what it was

Comment

maybe its your tyre width ...mine are 225's....see this, last post in particular, and as one guy says, take your corners quicker

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...+rod+clearance

Comment

I have some 3mm spacers you can have for post if it helps

Comment

I had this with my kw v2's.

The KW fitment guide actually states that standard wheels may not fit unless spacers are used. I managed to get the 16" avus to fit with 205 winter tyres. But when fitting my BBS 17"x8" wheels with 225/45 tyres ET35 i had rubbing. I got round this by slackening the strut to hub pinch bolts and using the adjustment there to give me more clearance i then got the car 4 wheel aligned and that sorted the problem.

I would contact KW and see what they say but new wheels or spacer may be your best bet.
                          Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                          03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                          01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
                            I have some 3mm spacers you can have for post if it helps
                            sorry for not noticing your offer, id be willing to take them if the offer still stands, would give me a good gauge as to the thickness id need if the 3mm was not enough

Comment

Working...
                            X