Compbrake Top Mounts, Rebuild/repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compbrake Top Mounts, Rebuild/repair?

I wanted to replace the spherical bearings in my top mounts, does anyone know the size of them? I'm in the USA so i'm trying to source them over here if possible.

THanks in advance!

I have some brand new on the shelf, if no one chimes in I can measure it for you on Wednesday.
    www.quattro.ca
    B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
    B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Can i ask (if a little unhelpfully ) how long have the topmounts lasted you?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ralleyquattro View Post
        I have some brand new on the shelf, if no one chimes in I can measure it for you on Wednesday.
        Thanks Martin!

And Dubmanted, I do not know, they were pulled from a random parts car i stumbled upon. I'd been wanting a set so i was excited to find them. Before I use them, i'd like to have them back to new condition. I'm also interested/tempted to add a layer of rubber or Derlin to the top of it to avoid any potential noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
          . I'm also interested/tempted to add a layer of rubber or Derlin to the top of it to avoid any potential noise.
          No need.. have them on three cars and no noise or unwanted harshness transferred.
          In fact I was surprised how comfortable they felt on my '84 Ur-q with Eibachs and Billie HDs on long trips.
          www.quattro.ca
          B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km

Comment

I'm looking for better quality bearings for these - normal ones seem to last me around 4 - 5,000 miles
            I agree they are not harsh and worth the effort, if only I could find motorsport bearings...
            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
              I'm looking for better quality bearings for these - normal ones seem to last me around 4 - 5,000 miles
              I agree they are not harsh and worth the effort, if only I could find motorsport bearings...
              I've put a lot more than 5000 miles on mine and no issues so far.
              As I mentioned I had them on 3 of my cars, this summer the '85 Urq will be getting them as well.

I did notice that the first set I ever got had bearings that were not as "tight" as I am used to.. even then they have lasted over 12k.
              The last two sets of mounts I got have very "tight" bearings.
              www.quattro.ca

Comment

The top mount bearings I have used cost £35 each, so it's not surprising that the comp brake ones fail, given that's about the cost if the entire mount and that includes profit margin.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by ralleyquattro View Post
                  I've put a lot more than 5000 miles on mine and no issues so far.
                  As I mentioned I had them on 3 of my cars, this summer the '85 Urq will be getting them as well.

I did notice that the first set I ever got had bearings that were not as "tight" as I am used to.. even then they have lasted over 12k.
                  The last two sets of mounts I got have very "tight" bearings.
                  I guess it really depends on the quality of the road surface. I'm on my 5th or 6th pair of front bearings. Rear ones last longer.

European roads are all tosh...

Comment

I don't agree, Dutch roads are pretty good. We pay for it though so they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                      I don't agree, Dutch roads are pretty good. We pay for it though so they should be.
                      We pay in Belgium too, sadly they must only spend the money on beaurocracy. ..

Comment

Agreed Belgium roads are definately not the best in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
                          I'm also interested/tempted to add a layer of rubber or Derlin to the top of it to avoid any potential noise.
                          You might be able to add a thin layer.

I cut a bit off a standard top mount, but that was too thick

Only got 2.5 turns of engagement

Bearing just pops out the bottom when you remove the circlip

I also drilled and tapped the lockring, pop a little nylon ball in the hole, then a grub screw and the lockring wont loosen. I double nutted the strut nut as it kept coming loose.

If I can find my other set tomorrow I will measure them, they are lost in the garage somewhere.

I was planning to get some better PTFE aurora bearings or similar when needed.
                          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Inner diameter 17mm
                            Outer diameter 35mm

Outer race height 12mm
                            Bal height 20mm

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

From compbrakes site

High angular (22000lb) Loading Goldman precision 20mm race bearing .
                              featuring a 17mm race bearing
                              Last edited by andy10v; 7 January 2015, 21:25.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X