Steering Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Noise

I can here a noise while turning the steering wheel, it sounds as something in the steering column is rubbing. It mostly happens at slow speed or standstill with big steering turns.

I tend to loose some Hydraulic fluid but I top it from time to time. Noise never goes out.

PAS pump out?
    Steering rack (big metal piece behind the engine) out?

Cheers,
    Rafael
    94' RS2 Coupe TT (Twin Torsen )

Try checking all the arms that connect to the steering rack, i had a weird noise recently and it was the nuts on it had come a bit loose allowing some play.

If you get someone to sit in the car and go from lock to lock whilst you look in the engine bay hopefully you will be able to see signs of what the problem may be
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
      Try checking all the arms that connect to the steering rack, i had a weird noise recently and it was the nuts on it had come a bit loose allowing some play.

If you get someone to sit in the car and go from lock to lock whilst you look in the engine bay hopefully you will be able to see signs of what the problem may be
      Thanks for the idea for the arms of the steering rack. Will check that.

The noise seems to come very close to the steering wheel I would say between the steering rack and the steering wheel.

Thanks

Comment

There is a joint in the car which can be seen when you take the pocket out under the steering column, i would have thought it unlikely, but check that too, maybe something behind the dash rubbing on the steering column?

Incidently all the steering components use lock nuts and thread lock, so if any are loose i'd suggest replacing
        Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
        2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

My guess would be the top mounts for the struts. They sound like something is rubbing at first but after a while it starts banging and squeling. Not really a biggie too fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Henka
            My guess would be the top mounts for the struts. They sound like something is rubbing at first but after a while it starts banging and squeling. Not really a biggie too fix.
            I have new blue top mounts and changed the struts receintely. Noise could be heard before and after this modification, it really sound something in the steering column and/or rack

Comment

steering dampner?

Originally posted by The Spanish
              I can here a noise while turning the steering wheel, it sounds as something in the steering column is rubbing. It mostly happens at slow speed or standstill with big steering turns.

I tend to loose some Hydraulic fluid but I top it from time to time. Noise never goes out.

PAS pump out?
              Steering rack (big metal piece behind the engine) out?

Cheers,
              Rafael
              Check the steering dampner. It looks like a small shock absorber. One end is connected to the bracket that attaches to where both steering links meet the steering rack & the other is mounted to the body.
              Chris
              "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Working...
              X