Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspension 'clunk' & she's still pulling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension 'clunk' & she's still pulling!

Evening chaps,

Recently had a bit of a sabbatical sorting out my ‘new’ ’88 Golf GTi daily so the S2’s been promoted to a weekend toy! Now gives me a chance to sort some stuff out with the suspension that’s been a PITA since I had the suspension redone in December.

The front driver’s side suspension strut has a rather worrying and annoying habit of ‘clunking’ when turning from lock to lock or under heavy compression etc. On closer inspection the top spring cup doesn’t seem to sit with the spring properly (it's rotated round from the stop and isn't held properly). I’ve recently had a couple of attempts at fixing the problem. I’ve compressed the spring and the rotated and re-seated the cup but after 10 minutes of driving it just resumes normal ‘clunking’! I’ve tightened the top nut in an attempt to stop the cup turning relative to the strut but again, after a few miles it goes back to clunking away. Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the solution? Any ideas? Do I need new cups? So many questions...

Possibly related but probably not, it’s pulling quite strongly to the left at the moment and under hard braking she’s rather unstable, which is a little disconcerting! Having had the struts and top mounts replaced and the tracking and camber setup I suppose it's now time to get all the suspension bushes and ball joints checked and replaced as necessary.

Where’s the best place to get bushes and ball joints from? Are the ones from GSF inferior or doesn’t it make too much difference. I don’t want to fit something and have it all setup only have to replace the part 6 months later where it’s disintegrated under the not insignificant mass of the old girl!
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

In my experience, don't use GSF wishbone bushes. I tryed them once, and they didn't last more than a couple of thousand miles, at the most.
    SS

Comment

Working...
    X