Noise in the front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise in the front

On small sharp bump I get a "CLANG" noise in the front passenger side.
    On paved (stone) road I get CLANG,CLANG,CLANG...... and it's make the ABS come in when braking
    I got it since I bought the RS2
    I change allmost every thing in the front suspensionsince then
    New: schock absorber, alloy sub frame bushes, all new bushes, new ARB drop link,
    QRsport top mount, new link to steering rack

Now that every thing is new the noise is even louder and also start in the driver side.

I ve ckeck that it was not the brake pads moving in the caliper.

Where can it come from?
    Do you think it could come from engine mount or gearbox mount?

Thanks
    Fabien
    RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Have you had the ball joints checked?

Comment

I had something similar on the nearside front. Was there before the damper change (wishbone bushes) but slightly different after it.

It turned out to be when I'd replaced the front damper unit inside the strut, I hadn't torqued up the strut top cap enough and it loosened, just very slightly and it made a clunking noise . Enough to drive you mad!

Just raised the front of the car, lifted the protective boot and tightened it with the 'C' spanner.

HTH
      Raymond
      1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
      1987 CQ85RS
      1994 S2 Avant- Gone
      1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
      Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
      Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Ball joints change last year
        new wheel ball berings
        I also thought it was the top of the strut not tight enough so I tight them as hard as I could with 1 meter extension to the spanner, NO CHANGE
        RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Comment

Working...
        X