Help needed with poly wishbone bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with poly wishbone bushes

Afternoon gents,i'm having a bit of a head scratching situation with fitting my poly wishbone bushes on my cq project,basically ive got the bushes in the arms no drama,the problem is that there are 2 washers for each bush (one for either side) and i cannot for the life of me get the wishbones to fit with a washer at either side of each bush,there just isn't enough room.
    Has anyone else had this issue?
    I can get them in fine without the washers,but i would assume they are there for a reason...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers
    It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Place them in on the wonk so they are being pinched in as you press the wishbone bush into the corresponding clamp area, then with a nice big whacking device start tapping them in? Might work??? Think i did this with a washer on each side of my car when i poly bushed it recently...

Its amazing how fast you can block these things out of your memory when it was a horrible job lol.

Comment

Hmm,could be worth a try,its damn tight though,i think id be lucky to get one washer on per bush...and yeah...im already trying to blank the spun captive nut for the subframe bolt out of my head!

Comment

They are a tight fit, for sure but they do fit. Check the wishbones are not bent
        Also if you've had the subframe painted or powdercoated the coating might be thick enough to swallow some clearance.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Im fairly sure they shouldnt be bent (famous last words),all the parts have been painted,visually im in need of a few mm per bush at a guess,perhaps the outer most mounting point needs pushing back out?
          Id guess it could have been bent in if the oem bushes were slightly smaller...hmm all food for thought,cheers guys

Comment

I've just had this too. Take a length of M10 studding and use 2x nuts & 2x washers to open out the gap gently. Worked a treat.

Fit the studding through the outer hole, then washer nut nut washer.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by add View Post
              Hmm,could be worth a try,its damn tight though,i think id be lucky to get one washer on per bush...and yeah...im already trying to blank the spun captive nut for the subframe bolt out of my head!
              Did you see this posting: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...me+captive+nut

Saved my A** two months ago

Comment

I think youve nailed it Andy,i was thinking exactly the same...ill keep a big hammer on standby though!
                With any luck tomorrow will be a productive day...well ive said it now,ill report back with any new swear words i can come up with when work starts...

Comment

Originally posted by Audicted View Post
                  Did you see this posting: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...me+captive+nut

Saved my A** two months ago
                  Well i didnt,although,my problem was a little different,basically bolt head snapped (even after using the blowlamp and penetrating oil),so im left with maybe 50mm of the bolt in the nut,more oil,heat and a stilsen and it snapped at the nut,had to drill it out...must have caught the threads as it tightened to nipping point and spun the threads...ended up drilling though and replacing the bolt and putting another nut on the captive making it a washer effectively...need to plate over the hole tomorrow...god i hate cars...

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    I've just had this too. Take a length of M10 studding and use 2x nuts & 2x washers to open out the gap gently. Worked a treat.

Fit the studding through the outer hole, then washer nut nut washer.
                    Well i did this today and sorted it out without too much drama,the fronts should be a piece of pi55 if i have the same issue,thanks again for your input fellas

Comment

Working...
                    X