Hydrolic Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrolic Oil?

I think that i read somwhere that the hydrolic oil is not normal ATF? that is synthetic not mineral and that ATF should NOT be used? I think it may be a bit low as it does leak on the N/S wishbone/subframe area and occasionally put the red (!) symbol on occasionally when cournering/braking hard. Not bothered about the leak though as it never leaves any marks on the floor at all! and does a great job of keeping rust @ bay in that area!
    anyhow can Semi-synthetic ATF be used to top it up? It's what we have @ work for the coach auto box oil!! If not then what does it need? I had a look on S2central but i didn't see owt? but iam a bit blind at timesops:

Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Glen

Look under the service section on S2 Central, then under Introduction and there is a link that list all the correct fluids. It says:

Hydraulic Fluid - VAG item only - G002000. There is no aftermarket substitute for this stuff. It is cheap from Audi.

HTH

Leigh
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

There are alot of other aftermarket oil which meet the VAG standards for the oil. But have to make sure the right grade is used.

Morrisons make one which is right for it.
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

DONT use ATF. Not good for it. Must use mineral oil, similar to the Citroen stuff for hyd. suspension.

If the system is leaking, it should technically fail its MoT. Sounds like there is a leak around the accum. (or bomb), this should be sorted out. That system is used for the power brakes and the power steering! New parts are dear, but can be bought from salvage places if needs be. I bought S/H servo, cost me £45!

A few people make the oil, but really is only about £5 a litre from Audi, so whats the point in risking damage to the lot. But whatever you do, dont use ATF.
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

TIP: If you get that light (!) and you cannot detect any leakage on the system - check the float on the green cap!

Mine was constantly beeping at me a while back and i couldn't see any problems anywhere. Opened the reservoir, syphoned off the existing fluid, cleaned the filter, cleaned the exit of the float into the screw top lid, refitted filter and filled with new fluid. (!) disappeared immediately for a few days.

Its back again now and its just that the GOO2000 is so sticky when it dries.

HTH someone....

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
          X