Crappy handbrake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy handbrake!

I've just fitted pads to the rear and the handbrake is really crap! When the pads bed in iam sure it will come too a bit, then but its never been any good really! Ive always had to leave it in gear! When i had the pads out i noticed the n/s piston was more difficult to screw back than the o/s. but both sides had worn even, so they werent sticking on. Is it a similar problem to the old 80's rears calipers siezing up, or maybe sommat else?
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

damm wrong section! mike can u please move it! ta m8!

Comment

If they are anything like an old Mk2 Golf rear caliper, which I think they might be, siezed HB mechanisms are par for the course I'm afraid.

I had to replace mine on the golf (with exchange refurb units) cause the hadbrake went completely
      Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

I think they will be very similar if not the same. I'll be nieve and try lubing them first! Lets see how good worth's penetrating oil is! hope it's as good as their calenders!

Comment

Hi i have just done mine on the S2 with the same fault and also i have just done them on a Corrado with the same fault. It is possible to free up the callipers as new cost £80 ish. The callipers are different on the golf/corrado to the S2,s as the S2 handbrake cable goes in at 90 degrees to the hub but the corrado goes in at 45 degrees, probably cos of it being a trailing arm. But to free up the mechanism first remove the calliper and pop out the spring on the calliper (just to make the mechanism easier to move). Then remove the bolt with the collar for the spring which keeps the handbrake in place. Work the lever a few times or at least get it moving. then put a lever underneath the mechanism arm and prise it up. It will come up about 1/2" and expose the first part of the shaft (which causes the problem) you will see it is all corroded and pitted. Sand all of the corrosion off of the shaft and polish up, as this mechanism works on only the little splodge of grease the factory put in. Smother the shaft in anti sieze grease or lithium grease, and work the shaft in and out, keep on applying more grease untill it will not take any more. Work the mechanism and make sure it jacks out the piston as it should do. The mechanism has a spring inside which ,if your calliper is free enough, should return the handbrake lever by itself without the aide if the big spring. Once it does build it back up put the spring on and your mechanism should move freely now.
          Hope this helps
          Graham
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
          X