Gearbox to rear diff ratios matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox to rear diff ratios matching

Can anyone tell me exactly what the gearbox to rear differential ratios are for:

Coupè 20V NM 5 speed gearbox;
    S2 3B 5 speed gearbox;
    S2 ABY 6 speed gearbox;
    RS2 ADU 6 speed gearbox;

and main differences on gearboxes and rear diff features and strenght?

Thanks

Marco

P.S. the question relates to the fact I actually have all four of them so would like to know if I can swap some of them among each other.

Transcodes?

If you could give the codes for the gearboxes it would help alot.
    www.irry.com

Comment

Hi tacq,

wow! I by now had lost any hope somebody would have ever answered this
      Well, I need to check them out when I go home.

Thanks anyway.

What I'm interested in is to know if there are any deifferences in drive ratios that my cause different rotating speeds among front and rear axels if swapping gearboxes/rear torsens among each other.
      Then, of course, would be nice knowing if there are some construction issues that make one part stronger and/or more relyable in the respect of the others (AFAIK, for example, RS2 gearbox has reinforced 1st gear if compared to ABY 6 speed one, but what about 3B 5 speed gearbox compared to 5 speed NM or 6 speed ABY ?)
      I suppose NM gearbox and rear torsen have shorter drive ratio compared to 3B, ABY and RS2, but would like to know for sure and have some numbers.

Marco

Comment

2much2do

Just been to much to do; been living in the garage lately....
        www.irry.com

Comment

Marco,

here is a link to some info about ratios, probably not enough but it might help.

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/

Mark.
          Mark - Modded

Comment

Two different gearboxes were used on the RS2 - CGR or CRB. The CGR box was fitted on some of the earlier RS2s. The later CRB box had a strengthened first gear.

Comment

Mine is a CRB

Comment

Thanks for the link Mark,

so if I have understood correctly all main 5 and 6 speed gearboxes, except the Allroad one, use 4.1 final drive ratio (apart from different gear ratios), which would allow using for example NM rear torsen with 3B, ABY and ADU gearboxes (?).

Will check part numbers when I have the chance, anyway.

Marco

Comment

Ratios

Final gear rations is indeed 37/9 for most 5'er & 6'er but there are other ratios. I know 3B have used the ARV gearbox which also is a 37/9 trans. I would prefer a lower final ratio thou...
                  CGR and CRB are also 37/9
                  I do not know what trans that NM used, but it is either 37/9 or 41/9 and logic would then say its 37/9
                  www.irry.com

Comment

Thanks tacq,

I will check my NM gearbox and rear torsen numbers ASAP

Marco

Comment

Working...
                    X