Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Removal

Hi Everyone

I have a problem with my clutch slipping i need to remove the gearbox now what will be the easiest, remove the engine or gearbox?????????????????
    www.cardomin.com/member/745893

I think general consenus from those that have done the work is it would prob be easier to remove the engine.
    Ive not done it to know in all fairness.

Tom (Audiman) seems to be able to get a box out and back in again within a day easy, but for a first time thing with seized bolts etc and not knowing the tricks of how to do it, then it might be easier to remove the engine.
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Removing the engine is easier but also more expensive, as usually you would be best advised to replace certain stuff while in there but whichever route you go make sure you replace the clutch slave cylinder as access is very restricted with everything in place.
      Corey
      01636 822288

Comment

I'm guessing your's is a 3b (majority will probably agree that it's easier to take the box/engine together), there's a few detailed threads in the forum with Tom's , myself and others experiences removing 3b and aby g/boxs, it always seems to turn into a bigger job than you thought , the clutch repalcement being the simplest part of a lengthy process...

when you're there change everything you can including spiggot bearing

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Corey
          Removing the engine is easier but also more expensive, as usually you would be best advised to replace certain stuff while in there but whichever route you go make sure you replace the clutch slave cylinder as access is very restricted with everything in place.
          If its an ABY so theres no battery in the front, then i dont agree with that, Slave cylinder is a piece of cake to replace so long as no battery is there.
          Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
          2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Depends on what facilities you have really, if you have a nice four poster, a mobile hydraulic stand for the box and someone to help you if you need it, it'll make taking the box out easier.

Personally I would take out the engine (or take it to Tom!), because I don't have the above facilities, but even then given the choice I would probably go for taking out the motor as I have done it before and know what to expect.

Whichever you go for, it'll be an adventure...LOL

Originally posted by S2 Ant
            Slave cylinder is a piece of cake to replace so long as no battery is there.
            Not for me it wasn't, I found it a real biatch of a job, just couldn't get my arms down there without losing some blood .
            Mark - Modded

Comment

I changed my clutch about a month ago. The pressure plate was roasted.

The car was on axle stands and it took my mate and me 16 hours - which although it sounds horrific, didn't seem that bad once it was over . Doing it again I could probably knock a good few hours off that time. It's like everything else, once you've done it - doing it again is a lot easier.

The only real killer is the weight of the gearbox

cheers
              Raymond
              1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
              1987 CQ85RS
              1994 S2 Avant- Gone
              1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
              Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
              Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Working...
              X