Stripped clutch splines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped clutch splines!

I have just removed an ABY transmission from a customers car to investigate a strange problem - sometimes, the car drives ok, if you give it real solid beans, say 5,000 RPM and dump the clutch, the car won't move at all! On removing the clutch this evening, I found the clutch friction plate splines are virtually non - existent. The input shaft is ok, though. The customer says the clutch WAS replaced before he bought the car (17th June '03).

Is this a problem anyone has come across? I can only presume it was a dodgy clutch, it IS a Luk item, yet the centre boss spline virtually disintegrated like it was made of wax. :eek2:

Siena

Was it the correct clutch? Sounds like the wrong spline pattern or dodgy material! Sending it back to the manufacturer?? I would if it was my own car because that should never happen: stripping the drive splines!
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Yep, Lee, it was the right clutch, I checked the part number and it came up ok. Very odd :confused:

Comment

The same thing happened to the splines on Darrons car, only one or two splines not the whole lot though.

Ment the clutch would slip loads if given some beans.

Sounds like the clutch had alot of beans and ignored the warning signs that the clutch slipping
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Umm, well, this doesn't sound too surprizing for me from LUK as their clutches are usually remanufactured items (90% of their catalogue).

In one word: get a Sachs clutch kit and you'll be set IMO, LUK plain suck IME, and I know a bit of this as I used to work for a japanese clutch manufacturer and I was in charge with warranty claims, where we also saw coming back to us Luk clutches that we were just repackaging.

Cheers,

Mihnea
          '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
          info@MRCTuning.com
          Workshop Directions

Comment

Working...
          X