Is it me or is this on the way to failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me or is this on the way to failure

The last few days my gear lever feels like its connected to the gearbox by second class postage , and also recently it has been very easy to select first and reverse engages--(Very embarasing at the traffic lights) so tonight for a quick inspection i pulled the console apart to get a better view. Sorry about the quality but the digicam has a battery life measured in milliseconds, and the phone was the only other thing working. If i Hold the lever i can pull it up about 10mm, and the part giving about 10mm of play is the ring which looks like part of the support for the white plastic knuckle with the selection slots in:

If it is knackered, what are they like to change, can it be done from inside or is it fight with the underneath again time
    Attached Files
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Here is a view of the mechanism when its lifted:
    Any help will be greatly appreciated as it takes weeks to get things out here, and if it is on the way i would rather start getting bits and bobs together.
    Attached Files
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi there,

I changed over this part of the car with a shortshifter kit. Its really easy and is done while sitting in the car. They sell them at VAG Parts (they have a link from this forum).

Looking at the bit thats got all the play in it, a short shifter would cure that and also feels really good when changing gear. It reduces the "throw" by about 1/3.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Yep buy the short shifter, it replaces the entire plastic ball and all the bits.
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

yeah but short shift dosnt stop u getting 1st and reverse confused..
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
            yeah but short shift dosnt stop u getting 1st and reverse confused..
            You have to do the reverse lock out mod, ask Jamo he's king of fitting these
            Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
            S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

I experienced a similar problem to this only to find it was in fact the metal ring that holds the 'ball' in place that had sheared off and had lodged itself between 1st gear and reverse (hence the feeling that the gearbox was shot

See the picture.

The solution? Snap the ring off and make sure you don't yank the gearstick upwards (but why would you?)

Also, thanks to Steve Quattro for offering to supply me with a brand new OEM 6sp box when I thought the problem was more serious than it turned out to be. If you are interested in this gearbox please contact me by PM and I will pass his details on.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X