Is my clutch Fooked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my clutch Fooked?

Well, the heading says it all....the trouble is when you rev the car and your inching forward, like trying to force your way out of a turning and no-one will give way, the clutch absolutley stinks. I also notice that if you hold it on the clutch on a hill, after say 5-10 seconds, you either have to dip the clutch more or take it out of gear and use the brake, again sometimes getting a whiff? It goes in gear Ok and causes no other problems.So any ideas? BTW i would not be happy if it needs a new clutch as it has only done about 10k miles at a push...

Sounds like its not disengaging properly and is slipping rather than coming all the way away, which is why it smells, its burning from the slipping.

I dunno how the hydraulic clutches work tho, to know if it can be adjusted in some way in case its not disengaging fully, or whether its just a case of something is wrong and cant be adjusted or something done to rectify it
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

BTW the slave cylinder and master cylinder were changed at the same time...

Comment

Who changed your clutch components? You might have a small airlock meaning that your release bearing isn't travelling far enough for a given pedal travel. Air compresses and fluids generally don't. I'd start with re-bleeding the system before panicking too much.

Mine stinks cos I fecked it and its been there for a huge mileage. I now drop the clutch at about 4k revs from a start..it always stank when dropping it while the engine was bouncing off the limiter! I wonder why Makes you lose the traffic light sprints too. Note to self: must get proper rigid, on-off, clutch!
        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

jub-jub, dont hold it on hills using the clutch!!! Thats what is causing it to slip. Once the process has started, ie the slipping it doesnt cure itself. BTDT last month!
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

@Lee... The place were its either£250 or £1000 @Tom....Is this just an Audi thing, clutches and hill holding don't mix?

Comment

Originally posted by jubjub
              @Lee... The place were its either£250 or £1000
              LOL! THey are normally pretty good but its worth checking for an airlock (re-bleed). I hope they didn't charge you 1000+VAT for fitting a clutch, master cyl and slave cyl. I'm glad I do everything myself!!

@Tom....Is this just an Audi thing, clutches and hill holding don't mix?
              Riding the clutch is never good in any car, let alone an RS2! If the clutch is now glazed the problem won't really go away.
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Trouble is though, i very rarely use my hand brake or foot brake on a hill.The only other car i had the same problem with was a TR8, But the clutch was badly slipping and on inspection was worn anyway.

Comment

CLUTCH

Hi JUBJUB,
                  When your clutch gets hot , it takes hours to cool down, and i mean hours
                  . in my experience takes about 6-8 hours. I,ve jumped into the car the next
                  morning and still could smell it. THE OLD OVEN EFFECT
                  RS2 MTM

Comment

With driving instructor hat on........

don't hold the car when stopped on the clutch, always put it in neutral and apply the handbrake.

Oh I'll stop there, but its not a brilliani dea to hold cars on the clutch on hilss.....it does tend to glaze the face of the clutch or wear it down very quickly....neother of which will help your wallet.

This applies even more to powerful cars where the efffects are increased because so little power is needed to hold the car that the clutch is really not having to work much, but enough to damage it...

BTW I have been advised to not 'ride' the clutch or hold the car on it in the P-car 'cos that uses up the clutch about 3x faster....

I also don't always practice what I preach.....

Comment

Originally posted by Michel
                      With driving instructor hat on........

don't hold the car when stopped on the clutch, always put it in neutral and apply the handbrake.

Oh I'll stop there, but its not a brilliani dea to hold cars on the clutch on hilss.....it does tend to glaze the face of the clutch or wear it down very quickly....neother of which will help your wallet.

Hi Michel

You sound just like my Dad - an ex-driving instructor.

The RS2 handbrake is notoriously poor - sometimes it holds on a slight incline, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it does for a bit until the discs cool down. So on a slope I'm the person with my foot on the brake and the car in neutral with the handbrake on!

Comment

Nah just poor Grand dad driver.

I know that the discs and calipers are different between S2 and RS2 but I can't say the S2 handbrakeis poor. I've not (yet) had problems....

Also learnt the hard way that holding the car on the clutch on slippery roads, snow etc can lead to embarassment........

Comment

Hi

I think S2s actually have a handbrake designed to work in most conditions. The RS2 handbrake is a vagary of Porsche's involvement in the project. I understand it consists of a small expanding shoe mechanism inside the drum of the disc. Performance Car commented on the fact that the test car was particularly poor when they reviewed it in 1994.

Comment

Fair enough, a shoe designed to hold a 968 ain't gonig to do much for an RS2....

Comment

RS2 handbrakes can be made to work properly, though most owners (ie me) seem to put up with it.

On advise from a fellow RS2 owner had the guides/cables changed when I had the big red kit fitted and now I have a handbrake that works !
                              Dave

ex-Ragusa Green RS2

Comment

Working...
                              X