• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding/scraping under load at low revs

Hi Guys,

I've had my s2 nearly two weeks now - here are my two main concerns:

I wonder if anyone else recognises these symptoms:
    I have a grinding/scraping noise at low revs under load. The best way I can describe it is similar to when brakes are running low, or a stone in the brakes - though much quieter. This noise disappears as the revs get higher - say more than 2k. Essentially I only notice this noise in 30 limits - but it is offputting. I only get this noise when the engine is under load - If I put the clutch in - no noise. This noise is best demonstrated accelerating from ~20 mph in 4th. To be clear the engine is not tapping or anything like that

Another (maybe related?) thing:
    When going up through the gears 2nd tends to 'thump' (some crunch as well) when putting the power on (no problems selecting any gears) - 3rd sometimes as well, but not as bad. Seems that this type of thing comes up quite a lot in these posts - is changing the gearbox oil something an amateur could take on?

Car is 92 S2 5 speed.

Thanks for any advice

bump

hi mate i too have 3b 5 speeder, have you checked the rear diff mounts? i had exactly same problem and replaced rear mounts. got from quattro corner in birmingham-paid about 15 quid.

Comment

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm no mechanic (unless you count software....). Is this referring to the thump or grind - or both (Didn't realise my car was into thump and grind .. sorry for the really bad joke...)

Comment

blind

Sorry - saw the title... doh

Comment

bump

the bump my son....give pete a ring at quattro corner 01214760034. when mine was on the ramp i was underneath and when my mate put into gear and let the clutch out the diff moved about 4 inches. the mounts were shagged.

Comment

Originally posted by ujimaflip
            Hi Guys,

I have a grinding/scraping noise at low revs under load. The best way I can describe it is similar to when brakes are running low, or a stone in the brakes - though much quieter. This noise disappears as the revs get higher - say more than 2k. Essentially I only notice this noise in 30 limits - but it is offputting. I only get this noise when the engine is under load - If I put the clutch in - no noise. This noise is best demonstrated accelerating from ~20 mph in 4th. To be clear the engine is not tapping or anything like that

When going up through the gears 2nd tends to 'thump' (some crunch as well) when putting the power on (no problems selecting any gears) - 3rd sometimes as well, but not as bad. Seems that this type of thing comes up quite a lot in these posts - is changing the gearbox oil something an amateur could take on?

Car is 92 S2 5 speed.

Thanks for any advice
            I would put my money on the propshaft centre support bearing.....
            Diff mounts make a clunking on taking up load or changing gear...constant noise with engine revolutions IMHO maybe the above...
            Search this forum for a DIY (PITA) fix or ring I think its
            www.propshaft.co.uk who have done a few S2 propshaft recons...

Comment

Originally posted by ujimaflip
              Hi Guys,

Car is 92 S2 5 speed.

Thanks for any advice
              Hi,

i had s scraping noise coming from my car a few months ago at gti that sounded like brake pads taken to bare metal.

looked all under the back end of the car and it turned out to be the exhast rubber, just forward of rear diff had split. this had caused the exhaust to sag just enough, that it rubbed against the rear offside drive shaft inner boot under load.

sounded horrible, but once rubber replaced the noise went away.

Brian

Comment

bump cause

Took the S2 to Quatronics - found the cause of the gears thumping - it is the transmission mounts - just in case any one searches the forum with similar symptoms.

Not found the cause of the grinding yet... Still under investigation - will post when cause confirmed

Comment

Will be interested to see your reply as I have what appears to be exactly the same noise and only apparent under exactly the same conditions in my 94 ABY Avant.
                  It sounds like its coming from the front.
                  I've changed all the belts and checked the bearings on the hydraulic pump and alternator too (I was betting it was hyd pump bearings, but I was wrong )
                  So let me know what you find - oh and vica versa of course!
                  sigpic

Comment

An update on the grinding noise. Best guess so far is the clutch release bearing...Just waiting for it to go...

Comment

I've got this too. it def. sounds like its coming from the front and its worst in first and second.

After a long run when the box is nice and warm it does it at idle as well.

I thought it could be the mainshaft bearing on its way out.

Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

Any update from anyone in this thread? Had the scraping sound for a week now, thinking it's the water pump.

Comment

Originally posted by ujimaflip View Post
                          Took the S2 to Quatronics...
                          Uh, I think I found the problem...
                          1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
                          A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

my 3b has the banging into gear problem at the moment too, so im putting a new clutch kit on and gonna do both the gearbox mounts and rear diff at the same time, hopefuly that will be it sorted. sorry for going off topic a bit but when removing gearbox and the engine tilts back does this cause bottom pully to damage the intercooler

Comment

This thread was started 4 years ago!

Comment

Working...
                              X