CV joint lockwasher/spreader plate thingy issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV joint lockwasher/spreader plate thingy issue

Ok folk, I have hit a problem which I am struggling to get past with my propshaft overhaul.

The original rubber boot and metal cover was entirely flat where the bolts pass thorugh using the lockwashers/spreader plates but the gkn replacement has a hump which stops it sitting flush.

As a result i am struggling to find a modern alternative which is the right size. I thought I had found it but on trying them over the weekend, they are too large

SO i need the shape of the new one but with a ~2mm reduction between the bolt-holes as shape which this one would be perfect. Problem is that very few sites seem to list actual measurements so seems like a process of elimination lol

Anyone happen to know of any other ones which would fit? Cant believe I am the only one who has hit this issue but dont want to remount the prop without them as they are needed to torque up effectively

Cheers
    David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Simple solution refit the old lock plate with shake proof washer,s i changed mine about 2 years ago never had a problem

Comment

not sure i follow...these photos illistrate the issue better

As you can see the original get nowhere near the holes

Replacement is the right shape to sit flush but too long
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

If you want to send me what you require I'll have some made. Shouldn't be too hard to do but will take a few day to get them done. Don't know if that's any help Dave. Regards Lynn

Comment

I have these
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
            I have these
            I saw these and were next on the try list but can you confirm the part number that would really help. Are they from an A6 by chance?
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by LSG View Post
              If you want to send me what you require I'll have some made. Shouldn't be too hard to do but will take a few day to get them done. Don't know if that's any help Dave. Regards Lynn
              Lynn, thats a fantastic offer and very kind. If i cant trace those which RXL has above then i will take you up...many thanks
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post

I saw these and were next on the try list but can you confirm the part number that would really help. Are they from an A6 by chance?
                i think these ware 1K0407357C but need to check on weekend the mesurments

Comment

Why not grind the centre out to allow the plate to fit?
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I just used the old boot, as it was in good order

Turned out that the noise I thought was the prop shaft is still there; I think it's my front pads clunking about but at least I know I have new CVs on the prop and the centre bearing is in better condition.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

A visit to Mr Grinder would solve your problem entirely - just shave a bit out the middle of original bracket.

Comment

I had this problem I went to local Audi gave them chassis number and the number plate reg and I ended up with full set all wrong size even if i drill them. Audi are **** I’m going to check with other vag cars to see if I can use that instead otherwise I will get some made up in stainless steel. Which should last a long time

Comment

managed to reuse the originals. The issue was the GKN boots were incorrect, the ones in the pictures above are for a 1/2 shaft inner cv to enable extended angles rather than a flat backed one which is for the cardan shaft/propshaft.

I had the correct propshaft cv's and boots put on and then just cleaned up the lockwashers.
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Do you have the part number for the correct propshaft boots? I have the incorrect ones as well.
                            //-\\ ((_)) //)) //

Comment

Working...
                            X