S2 running gear conversion advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 running gear conversion advice

I am looking to change to S2 running gear for my Audi 90 B2.
    I am already running a six speed gearbox therefore have fabricated gearbox mounts.
    Will I need to change subframes and wishbones or will existing ones work?
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

S2 wishbones are slightly different at the front, as they use the 3 bolt lower BJs (opposed to 2) and have the later version BJs, which moves the joint forwards, for increased castor. Not sure if the diameter of the hub connection is larger on the B3/4 too.

As yours is far from standard, it may already have different wishbones up front. I don't think there's much difference at the rear.

Rear subframes are the same on all coupes and B3. The S2 has a RARB where the B2 does not; not sure about earlier B3 80/90/coupe.

I'd be speaking to puglife about some tubular ones, as they're stronger, lighter and can always be modified if there are differences or you want more adjustment.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

You don't need to change subframes to run S2 wishbones AFAIK, but you also may not have to change wishbones at all to use with S2 hub carriers.

Comment

I am already running cast front wishbones. This did make quite a difference to the feel of the steering - much more solid. The problem however, is that these need the quattro ur 20v ball joints which are difficult to find and cost £170.
        Puglife and Albert seem to do subframes and wishbones. These are no doubt good value for what they are but are still an expensive option.
        So I am looking to upgrade but without overspending, especially as my engine is being rebuilt at the moment.
        Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
        20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Difference is the diameter of the BJ pin. Could get the uprights redrilled to suit S2 ones?
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
          X