Problems fitting aby engine to cdv 5 speed box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems fitting aby engine to cdv 5 speed box

Hi guys,been having a bit of bother mating my aby engine to the current box in the car.
    I can't for the life of me get it to mate up,now either I'm being stupid or something is a miss,never had this problem before
    It's an aby engine,7a flywheel and aan clutch,I've made a new slave pushrod to compensate for the slimmer clutch assembly.
    Is there any size/depth difference between the input shafts on 5 speed boxes?
    Also worth mentioning I've already shortened the dowels on the block.
    Any help would be appreciated,even if it is along the lines of "you're stupid,try harder"
    It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Have you measured the depth between bellhoising and release bearing and between back face of engine and clutch fingers and compared?

I am assuming you can get it into the pilot bearing OK...
    Did you align the clutch before trying?

Comment

I'll measure when I'm back up there,spat my dummy out for today,yeah I used a proper clutch alignment tool,it goes past the release fingers and stops around 10mm short of mating up flush with the block,with the clutch assembly being fairly low profile I can't see why it would foul the inside of the box,hence the query with regards to the input shaft lengrh

Comment

To answer my own question....yes I am indeed stupid,
        pulled the clutch back off to take a better look at everything,tried to slide the friction disc over the input shaft and it was really difficult,turns out I must have clattered the leading edge of the splines causing the input shaft not to go in with any degree of ease,cleaned the splines up with a file and it slid straight on
        In my defence I'm still recovering from a broken hand so I've got one and a half hands at the moment which makes wrestling engines trickier than normal!

Comment

Good find, good luck getting it finished!

Comment

Working...
          X