Cv joint stuck on differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cv joint stuck on differential

How on earth do I get the cv joint off the rear differential? ​​​​​​, I've undone all 6 bolts and given it as many sharp taps as I dare, put a big g clamp on to provide a bit of leverage on the joint to wiggle with and sprayed wd40 into the seam where joint mates up with diff.

No joy.

I'm slightly hampered by the fact the diff is sat on the driveway and not firmly connected to subframe (it's away at the moment having work done) so I'm fighting myself when giving it some.

Has anyone else found this and how was it overcome?

I'm foreseeing removing the whole propshaft to get the diff out of the way but that means removing exhaust and messing around doing that and jacking front of car up (not a fan of all 4 wheels being off the ground when I'm going underneath)

Any advice much appreciated as I'm about to explode and the Mrs thinks it's her fault which I've told her it isn't but she can't hear that

Many thanks

Bigger hammer and a bit of wood?

I'm maybe just ahead of you, my CQ back end's in bits too....just needing to find the urge to piece it back together!

Comment

Spray it with some good penetrating oil and leave it till the morning. Have a beer and chill tonight!
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks both. I'm amazed at how stuck it is, I love tapped the joint sideways and tapped the diff body backwards away from the joint but didn't want to hit it too hard as there are bearing surfaces in there. Bit of wood maybe the key to take the edge of the blow but still allow some shock force.

What penetrating fluid does the biz? I've only got wd40 but am always happy to buy new tools or consumables to get a project done

Some days this old car really does drive me to despair but I know once it is back on all 4 wheels and actually driving me somewhere useful; all will be forgiven

Comment

Apparently ATF and thinners 50/50 works well. I have some WD brand penetrating oil which I'm using up. Maybe read this too?
          https://www.s2forum.com/forum/genera...op-shaft-stuck
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Good find that thread! I'm going to buy plus gas tomorrow.

I WILL win and when it goes back together there will be some serious greasing up done (of the cv joint)

Comment

As the others have suggested and a bit of this.........

Can you not support the diff on a trolley jack?

I've done 2 of these now and yes it's difficult on a high miler with rust in there. Just use a small ball pein hammer and bounce it round the edge of the flange as if it's drum stick letting it bounce back off and on again in a high frequency. Just keep moving the flange around repeating this and then give the flange another wack with a piece of soft wood with a lump hammer, this time sitting in line with the prop so it acts on the edge of the thin rim to push it off. It will eventually come off.

Edit, .........just looked at the link Dave put up, that was the high miler and worst of them by far!
              Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 24 April 2019, 00:36.
              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Forum power wins again! ​​​​​​

It's off!

Technique of light tapping the small flange the joint sits in, application of wd40 penetrating fluid (not the normal wd) many many rotations and application around the join and down the bolt holes to in through the back.

Long piece of wood to give clearance out to the side of the car and a lump hammer and... It pretty much fell of with the lightest of knocks!

Cost me a fiver for penetrating fluid and a meal for the wife this evening
                Last edited by steve briance; 24 April 2019, 20:57.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                  Forum power wins again! ​​​​​​

It's off!

Cost me a fiver for penetrating fluid and a meal for the wife this evening

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                  96 URS6 plus speck estate
                  94 2.6 80 Avant
                  99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                  X