Creaking Rear Diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creaking Rear Diff?

I've stripped out the rear boot carpet (coupe) while chasing leaks and can now hear a distinct creaking like sound from the rear diff area, this usually while going around a bend. I've read that subframe bushes could be a culprit or drop links. The drop links are fairly new and the subframe bushes are aluminium ones at the moment. I have Powerflex ones to change to at some point.

Any other pointers or ideas of things to check?

I've had creaking from the front due to drop links. It's amazing how much transmits to the shell through them I didn't think they were worn as only creaked when warm...Changed them and it went away.

As its easy enough to take wheel off and unbolt the ball joint end of rear drop link, might be worth doing to see if the ball and socket action has got stiff? It was obvious cause of my noise - grease had escaped and I could barely move by hand!

Creaking at the rear I've had was caused by wishbone bushes. They were poly bushes but guess they were either worn or perhaps dry. Fresh ones in and it's not creaked since on last 6 months. Poly bushes were supplied with silicone grease to help combat creaking suggests they do...

Comment

Yep, when they are dry the do creek as they load up. I would also check the subframe bolt are torqued up correctly to ensure it isnt moving slightly too. If the droplinks are oem they should be fine, if they arent, make sure a boot isnt split, i found it on a cheap pair of rears once after being on the car a matter of weeks, went dry and caused noises.
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Thanks guys, I have some new drop links on their way, the more I listened to the creaking the more consistent with the drop links the noise seemed. Also they were new just after I bought the car around 10 years ago!

Comment

Working...
        X