No announcement yet.

Does clutch choice affect drivability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does clutch choice affect drivability?

Bit of an odd question maybe, but here goes..

I know there are different clutches for different power/torque outputs but is there a point you get to in clutch spec's that makes the car harder to drive at all?

I'm just wondering how much hp/torque you can have before the clutch you end up needing to match it to starts to affect the way the car drives/can be driven ?

in other words how far can you go before the clutch spec makes the car more suitable for racing and less enjoyable as a road car? (Basically Spoils the car) .

Assuming that this would even be an issue of course .

Thanks in advance
    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
    Schrick 272 cam
    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
    ITG filter

i run sre with the light 7a.

its heavy buy aint all aby aan clutches

Comment

You'd need to be making some pretty serious numbers to warrant a clutch that agressive it effects the driveability of the car.
      Heavy duty Sachs clutches can stand up to quite a bit of torque and I wouldn't say they make everyday driving hard
      It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Comment

The Sachs SRE with organic friction plate is fine for everyday driving. The sintered plate version isn't pleasant in traffic and won't last long, but it will take lots of hard launches without slipping. Like all tuning mods, it really depends what you want to do with the car.
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I drove few years with SRE 240mm organic disc and SRE 707 assembly. It was smooth as butter and drove like stock. Without drag racing I might still have the setup. Hard launches and nearly 800nm of peak torque took its toll.

Now I have 6- puck sintered SRE disc and prepped SRE 707 Monster with more headroom for activities. It drives and holds without suprises, but slow driving and reversing the car in a tight spots are sometimes a bit hilarious. On icy conditions it is bit easier because it spins all fours anyways. Sometimes on dry and wet tarmac does it also...

You lose some, You win some
          S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
            The Sachs SRE with organic friction plate is fine for everyday driving. The sintered plate version isn't pleasant in traffic and won't last long, but it will take lots of hard launches without slipping. Like all tuning mods, it really depends what you want to do with the car.
            Thank you all for the replies so far..

So if I wanted a clutch that could (potentially) handle 500hp one day, be reliable and easy to use, would that be the recommended choice ?
            C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
            2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
            Schrick 272 cam
            C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
            ITG filter

Comment

It's torque that kills clutches, not HP. Over 600Nm will stress the organic Sachs if you want to do launches. It will be fine for daily work. Go sintered if you want to run an aggressive torque curve.
              91 Modded 3B

Comment

SteveH what clutch do you have fitted?

Comment

Originally posted by sal_s2 View Post
                  SteveH what clutch do you have fitted?
                  Sachs SRE sintered mate. Not the most street friendly clutch, but holds up well. Problem is snapping rear driveshafts, so I suppose some clutch slip would help
                  91 Modded 3B

Comment

Is that the one you had a while ago from Aelred?
                    I have one which is organic on one side but looks sintered on the other. Not sure where it was from, maybe clutchnet? I thought it was from a group buy that you were also involved in? Ring any bells?

Comment

Hi Mate, No this one came direct from Sachs via a groupbuy Greg setup. Does the friction disk you've got have a bronze coloured glaze/lacquer on the center section? Could you take a pic of it? It could be a Clutchnet unit. All the clutches I tried slipped over 600Nm. The Sachs 707 pressure plate is the only one I've found which has sufficient clamping force. We had quite a few group buys back in the day. It could be from Precision clutch, Clutchnet, Southbend or Spec. Any part number on it?
                      91 Modded 3B

Comment

Its from Marks engine. I'll have a look and if I cant send pics on here I'll send to your phone. Think I still got your number

Comment

just checked it, clutchnet. Was it not up to handling 600nm?

Comment

20200603_214714.jpg 20200603_214720.jpg 20200603_214729.jpg

Comment

I found all the clutches I tried struggled after time with my RS2 setup. In higher gears they would start to slip eventually at peak torque. The clutchnet units were pretty good though. My tune had always been mapped with an aggressive torque curve. If this had been flattened out, I guess that would have helped. Some nice parts on Mark's motor, you keeping most of them? IIRC he had a Repo manifold, GT35/40, ceramic coating, etc, etc.
                              Last edited by SteveH; 4 June 2020, 07:52.
                              91 Modded 3B

Comment

Working...
                              X