1991 7A coupe Drivetrain whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 7A coupe Drivetrain whine

My ‘91 7A coupe with 270k miles emits a whine from the drive train at about 65 miles per hour. The driveshaft was swapped with no change in the noise and I don’t even know how to troubleshoot this. Please advise. Thank you.

Is it related to gear or road speed?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Same here, around 230K, but reckon it is the rear diff, especially as I hear it more with the rear seats folded down.

Currently in process of replacing diff, prop and gearbox so it better be gone after that lot!

Comment

The drivetrain whine only occurs with foot on the throttle going about 60-70 miles per hour.

4th or 5th gear does not make a difference
        If I take my foot off the throttle, the whine disappears
        If the car is in neutral, the whine disappears

Thank you for all advice.

Comment

Sounds like a rear diff bearing,which has been my suspicion all along for my car.

Comment

Here's a link to a simple mod I did to cut Gbx? whine...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...whine-2796276/

Comment

My rear diff didn't seem to make much noise until I installed polly bushings and mounts everywhere. After doing that, at highway speeds(55-75mph) I could notice an audible whine coming from behind me if I was at a steady speed. According to most, this is a common thing with these cars, and not much you can do about it. A friend had his rear diff rebuilt with no change.

If it's coming from farther up the drive line, I would suspect the trans may have a bearing failing.

Comment

Working...
              X