Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Transmission Dilemma

Happy New Year!

So I have a slight dilemma and not sure which one is worth exploring. I bought an ‚94 RS2 last year with what I assumed to have either the CRB/CGR transmission. I know, first mistake was the assumption. Turns out it has neither and instead a CMG.

The issue is that in 1st and 2nd, there is some unusual noise coming from it. Sounds like a slight grind/chatter especially at low speeds, that goes away as I shift into 3rd or higher. I figure that it’s probably necessary to make a decision. Here are the options:

1) Do nothing until it breaks
    2) Rebuild the CMG
    3) Buy a CRB and rebuild it

To add some more context, I’m an American living in Germany for the next two years until I move back home. My goal in purchasing the car has been to restore the car while in Europe, where parts are „easier“ to come by. Once I leave, I know sourcing anything for the car will be next to impossible or at least very expensive. My car has been modified by MTM (380 package), so in terms of value, I’m not sure what the car would carry keeping the CMG versus putting in a CRB.

Thoughts?

It sounds like your 1 and 2 hub collar is finished. I would rebuild it before you have more damage. It is quite common for these transmissions. GL.

Comment

Is the noise similar to this?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGCS2CNrysM&
      If yes, its the main shaft, first and second gear. Those parts are about $2K new.
      I removed this garbage tranny, and installed a newer 01E (GBE) and it works well now.

Unless you want to have rs2 tranny in your car, dont fix it, swap it.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by varia View Post
        Is the noise similar to this?
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGCS2CNrysM&
        If yes, its the main shaft, first and second gear. Those parts are about $2K new.
        I removed this garbage tranny, and installed a newer 01E (GBE) and it works well now.

Unless you want to have rs2 tranny in your car, dont fix it, swap it.
        that is exactly what it sounds like! Do you have an RS2? How easy is the the GBE swap?

Comment

Originally posted by VRSEVL View Post

that is exactly what it sounds like! Do you have an RS2? How easy is the the GBE swap?
          It was in my urq. since it had an 01e already, i swapped the GBE over in 4 hours
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X