Driveshaft bolt removal with no engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft bolt removal with no engine

Wondering on any tips to undo the driveshaft bolt at the hub end when there is no engine/clutch attached to the gearbox to provide to provide any lockout.

any tips? I have the torque wrench, so no issues on tools…just currently no way to avoid the bolt turning freely. Car is on stands and can’t be moved, so an additional constraint at the moment.
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

If you don't have air tool's then this can be done by putting two wheel bolts in the hub in two holes next to each other until their wound about in as far as they can go, then put a long (three or four foot) crow bar between the heads of the wheel bolts with the end of the bar against the floor to prevent the hub from turning. If the hub bolts are seized this may not work, but it normally does, just be careful. It's what we do at work if in such a pinch.

Or get someone to hold their foot on the brake, but if your on your own the above method is surprisingly effective.
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 24 April 2022, 09:31.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I take it you also don't have any brakes? If not then another option would be to refit the calliper mount & disc and stick a metal bar in the vents of the disc. Only other option I can think of would be to try a impact gun.

Comment

An Impact gun is my tool of choice for this, but the method you mention will also work.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Cheers guys, i have an impact gun so thats another option too. So far the brakes havent been removed, was next on the list.
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Two wheel bolts and a long bar as said above, or some good mole grips on the driveshaft resting against the wishbone or chassis section.
            I take it you cant put the car on its wheels and chock it?
            Or, if you have a spare wheel you dont mind scratching, put the wheel on, a bar through a gap in the wheel till it hits the strut, and then remove the bolt-been a couple of times ive forgotten to break these free before stripping a car so had to come up with other methods.

Comment

Hopefully sort these this weekend, seems like plenty of options, so thats great! Thanks all for the tips!!!
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X