Duel pattern hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duel pattern hubs

Has anyone tried making a 5x112 hub duel pattern with 5x130? Is there enough material on the hub to make this possible or does the patterns overlap?

I wanted to do dual pattern with 5x120 , but there was something that stopped me from that, IIRC holes were too close to the edge of the hub to be safe. They does not overlap.

Comment

I thought that might be the case with the 5x112 hubs, I wonder if it would work if I start with 5x130 hubs as I see them for sale often.

What 5x120 wheels was you wanting to run? bmw bbs's?

Comment

5 X 120 would be BMW, almost certainly... I'm a bit of a PCD/ET geek.

There's not enough material on 5 x 112 hubs to add 5 x 130, in fact IMO you'd struggle to add any other PCD without compromising safety. You only have to look at a duel PCD brake disc to come this conclusion.

You might be able to do it starting off with a meaty 5 x 130 hub, something like the ones from a Merc Sprinter van or a Porsche Cayenne both spring to mind but then you'll have a headache getting the CV spline pattern to match anything Audi, the outside can always be machined down to fit the bearing so that isn't so much of a concern.

A much easier route would be to use some high quality hub adapters as your going to want to space out Porsche wheels on an Audi hub regardless... B3/4/5 and C3/4/5 Audi wheels tend to be in the ET 35-45 range and Porsche in the ET 50-60 range which gives plenty of space to play with.

Also the spigots are totally different sizes... Audi wheels are 57.1mm and Porsche tend to be around 70mm, so Porsche wheels would need spigot rings to fit an Audi hub and Audi wheels would have to opened out to fit a Porsche hub.

The only hubs that could make this easy are genuine RS2 hubs as their obviously 5 x 130 and fit Audi CV joints, I can pop a wheel off my RS2 and make a 5 x 112 template easily enough to see if this is practical, it's not something I've ever really though about doing.

However then you'll need aftermarket 5 x 112 wheels with an offset in the correct range as a stock S2 wheel on an RS2 hub will sit 15mm out of whack compared to the car. Factory S2 wheels would require spacers to overcome this and also there's the spigot issue.
        So we're back to hub adapters being the best solution for this problem.

If you've got any more questions regarding this fire away...
        Last edited by K Simmonds; 4 December 2022, 17:37. Reason: Poor English.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Working...
        X