85 Coupe quattro vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 Coupe quattro vibration

Hi to all , i have a 1985 coupe quattro b2 with a drivetrain related vibration.

The story so far :

Initial fault was a Dry squealing centre bearing on the prop .

Work done ,

Replace centre bearing , uj joint as notchy, both end cv joints and sent away to be professionally balanced. I've now got a big vibration from 25mph upwards with various degrees of severity as speed increases.

The centre support carrier brackets on the body have been mullered and at some time has been repaired so i have no original points to recall for reattachmnent, although i have tried different positions left right and spacing from body with no change.

When the car is on the ramp with the wheels removed and the rear driveshafts out /disconnected so only the prop and diff spinning i still get the vibration through the car . I can actually feel it through the seat !

If i listen with a stethoscope the front prop area seems relatively calm but as i move to the rear especially on the diff body centre area i can detect a very prominent thudding at various frequencies and the diff physically moves about suggesting that the diff is causing the problem . The prop appears straight and when it was refitted it was refitted using a homemade jig .

The diff oil level was correct and there was no swarf

Could something in the diff cause this ?

Would driving the car at high speed with the rear wheels locked on tarmac damage the diff which could cause this ? ( possibiilty that the mechanic did this but wont admit it !)

Oh and while this work was being carried out the gearbox was dropped to gain access to a stuck slave cylinder in the gearbox housing .

Its a real shame as the car actually had very little vibration before i messed about with it !

Have you got a ramp? You can fix a beaker of water on the diff and watch for vibrations on the water surface when rear wheels driven. Saw this on YouTube. Search diy prop alignment.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Did you mark the props orientation before removal and refit in the same position ?

Comment

The prop was rebalanced after being put back together in the same position on the splines to the best of my knowledge. The vibrations are clearly visible with sort of a kicking bucking feel from the diff housing . The prop was straight across the uj joint and spacers put in to make up the gap between the carrier and the body

Comment

Chris, send me a message so I can get a prop sorted for you (you'd messaged on ebay)

Comment

Im not a betting person but, i am tempted to place a bet on this being alignment.

Your story is almosy identical to my experience with my cq20v. Essentially brand new prop built up, balanced and fitted after the crappy febi centre bearing id had on old propshaft squealed at 30-35mph.

New prop shaft balance should have meant it went on and worked but sadly it didnt.

The jig is half the battle but, did you follow the procedure about fitting shims and fore/aft centering?

I was wondering what to do with mine when, i was also in the process of fitting new gearbox mounts... The net result of doing that and using the Porsche heavy duty mount seemed to virtually cure it.

Conclusion? Alignment was out despite my best efforts with my own jig and, moving the end of the gearbox a little with the new mounts got close to fixing it. Over time it has also actually improved itself a little bit more as the mounts undoubtedly settled down a little.

Have another go with alignment before splashing out on more parts
            ​​​

Comment

The brackets on the underside of my car have at sone time been repaired after I’d imagine to captive nuts causing a problem . I don’t have the original mounting shims so it’s all a bit of a guess .

the gearbox was removed during the time that the prop was off so that might be a clue I guess . I’ve got another prop coming so I can definitely rule out my prop from the equation .

my alignment tool I’ve made should work as the prop can be clamped tightly to a straight jig .

I’ll post back any advances I make .

Does anyone know of an upto date proven uj joint to fit the coupe Quattro prop shaft ? the prop I’ve got as a replacement needs this doing as a minimum.

cheers all .

Comment

Working...
              X